Chapter 8 | A Deal

"Thanks for the ride dear friend." I glide down gracefully with the help of the wind. As I land on both feet on the ground I look back up at Dvalin who spoke.

"I still don't get the need for you to travel on my back, considering your abilities." He huffed which only made me giggle in response.

"As thanks, I'll play you a tune once I get back. From here on forward I will be travelling by feet." I smiled at the dragon changing the course of the wind surrounding us into a gentle breeze.

"Safe travels, Barbatos." And with that the sky dragon spread his wings and flew above the skies, heading back to the land of the North.

"Alone once again!" I breath out a sigh. "Well then, time to- huh?"

I stopped, hearing the clashing of weaponry a few meters away. It seems there's a battle. With my curious mind I headed over to where the sounds were coming from. The closer I get the clearer I could decipher the cries of the Hilichurls.

I emerged behind a tree to see a scene that's all too familiar to me. The battlefield. Or well, it's more of a one sided fight than anything. I watched him and it's as if he was just dancing with the wind.

"WRETCHED VERMIN!"

Was what I last heard as I saw the last Hilichurl stumble to its end. The man stood there regaining his strength from the one-sided fight.

"You're still as strong as ever."

It seemed that he hadn't noticed my presence until now as I watched him flinch, alerted when he heard my voice. He turned to face me, our eyes met.

"Hello dear friend! Fancy seeing you near the borders."

He stared at me. "I'm on duty."

"I can see that."

"You should get going."

Was what he said before he walked away, so I followed him. The walk was silent and meters away from where we last stood he stopped and turned to me.

"Stop following me and go away."

"Why?" He frowned at my question.

"You shouldn't be near someone like me." Was what he said before I let out a sarcastic laugh.

"You have the audacity to say that after sleeping with me on the same bed?" The edge of my lip slowly rose as I smirked at the former Yaksha. He frowned even more.

"I didn't wish to stay with you last night." He locks eyes with those of mine.

"But you still did." I defended myself, he turned away attempting to hide his response. Unfortunately for him I was able to catch that annoyed eye roll. I went in front of him, leaning ever so slightly. "Let me walk with you!" I said with a simpering smile on my face. He stopped and really took his time to respond to my request.

"I don't know.." He said looking away.

3rd person

"Oh c'mon! It won't hurt!" A sudden gust wind blew strongly as the male smiled brightly at the Yaksha. He offered his hand for the guardian, the former looked at it before hesitantly placing his hand on the other. It was soft. Venti pulled him along as he began to walk towards their destination.

It didn't take long till they were able to see Wangshu Inn in the distance. Venti smiled turning to face his companion. "Look at that! We're almost there!"

"Uh.. Yeah.." Xiao mumbled awkwardly, Venti giggles at the other's behavior sending weird butterflies in Xiao's stomach making him confused.

"You're really awkward." Venti pointed out, the tip of the Yaksha's ear started to tint a bright red, he sent glares at the ravenette. Venti did his best to hold his laughter, it was very entertaining. Teasing the conquerer of demons was not in his bucket list this year, but it was whole heartedly welcomed.