Chapter 67.8 - Sneaking Around the Christmas Tree

The sun sets and the gates to the Tsurumaki house open up. Guests flood in, receiving a Michelle sticker at the entrance. Despite the large amount of people, everyone manages to fit on the yard, with plenty of room to move around. There are also enough seats for everyone, as well as an open area near the front for anyone to dance on.

"It looks pretty crowded" Tomoe says, walking in with the rest of Afterglow. "It doesn't seem like we're gonna be able to sneak around here."

"But we were able to do this once before, right?" Himari recalls. "Why don't we just do what we did last time?"

"Hello, Happy World! invited us here last time" Ran reminds everyone. "That was just a game. This is for real."

"Oh-ho! Do I hear Ran remembering that event so fondly?" Moca teases.

"It's not like that" Ran says, slightly embarrassed.

"I don't think a black cat is going to help us this time" Tsugumi gets back on track.

"Hey, do you think that secret entrance from last time is still here?" Tomoe asks.

"There's no way it would be" Ran says.

"It wouldn't hurt to check it out~" Moca says, heading towards the mansion.

"W-wait, Hun Gree!" Himari stops Moca. "What if one of the suits sees you?"

"Hun Gree?" Ran facepalms. "I was hoping to never heard those names again..."

"If we're going to sneak in like last time, we should use the same code names again!" Himari says.

"No thanks" Ran says.

"Yeah, this is a bit different this time" Tomoe agrees.

"This isn't a game like last time" Tsugumi adds.

"Wah~ Moca, help me!" Himari cries.

"Hun Gree was my fledgling name" Moca says. "Now, I am the Great Detective~"

"Did... She just ask Moca for help in convincing us to use nicknames... While calling her by her real name?" Ran points out.

"That's Himari for you" Tomoe chuckles.

"In any case, what do we do now?" Ran asks.

"I think it should be safe to check out the secret entrance" Tsugumi says, getting everyone back on track again. "It looks like the Christmas tree is set up near where it was, so we might be able to use it as a cover."

"We can always pretend we're all looking at it, then one or two of us can sneak in" Moca plans.

"That's... Not a bad plan" Ran says. "So, who'll be going in?"

"As the Great Detective, I should be the one going in" Moca says. "Now, who to pick to be my lovely assistant~"

Moca takes a look at all four of her options. After considering everyone's individual strengths and weaknesses, dexterities, intelligence, ability to bake bread, and all other special skills, Moca resorts to random picking via Eenie-meeny-meiny-mo. Ran gulps.

"Let's see... Ran! I choose you~"

"Why me?" Ran asks.

"You're already my assistant, Ranson!" Moca answers. "Besides. You're the one who's most caught up with what's going on, so you'll know what we're looking for the most. Tomoe didn't see what happened at the well, and Hii-chan and Tsugu just joined the investigation group."

"That's... A really sound argument" Ran says, impressed. "Fine, I guess I'll go with you."

"What about the rest of us?" Tsugumi asks.