Chapter Ten - What Are You Hiding

- Blake -

◽️

My head hurts.

I'm not sure if it's from all the confusion and chaos that has recently been occurring in my life, or if it's the loud noise of students flooding through this corridor, but right now my brain feels like it could explode.

I'm currently leant with my back against my locker listening to Steph finish ranting about all her recent arguments and activities with Dan; her boyfriend. We haven't really spoken in a while so there's a lot she is catching me up on, and one thing to note is that Steph doesn't like to hold back on any of the details, ever. Maybe that's why my head hurts.

Currently she's complaining about the fact that Dan tried to cook for her the other night and she thinks she got food poisoning from it. She's also making sure to make it very clear why she thinks she got food poisoning and it's making my insides unwell.

I'm usually a good listener when it comes to Steph and her problems, but right now I'm finding myself zoning out from what she's saying. Instead my attention is now being stolen away by one of my own problems; the one and only Hayley Gray.

She's stood down the corridor at her locker with Amelia, in a dark green tracksuit and with her hair tied up into a cute messy bun. She kind of looks like she's just rolled out of bed so how the fuck does she still look that pretty? Lucky bitch

We haven't interacted since the party three days ago, when she gave me a lift home - well almost home. I made sure to avoid her all day yesterday in school because I wasn't ready to speak to her, which was actually easy because I'm pretty certain she was trying to do the same to me.

It's not that I'm mad at her, I was at first for what she said back to me, but now I'm not. How could I be after what she did for me that night? The way she hurt her hand just to protect me. This is Hayley Gray, the girl who's supposed to hate me. The girl who I'm supposed to hate.

I do hate her, obviously, but I guess I'm just grateful as well. I have every right to be.

I did push her patience that night though, I know I did. I used my vulnerabilty to be a bitch to her and I dug for answers that I probably didn't have the right to gain, so of course she was going to snap at me.

I could tell she felt bad, but I wasn't going to hear her apologise and I'm glad I didn't. Especially because now I'm not going to stop pushing for the answers that she's hiding. The fact she so badly didn't want to tell me why she was at the party, makes me so much more eager to know even more. I will find out the truth, I always do.

"Girl, are you even listening to me?" Steph's sassy voice pulls my attention back on her.

I realise that I haven't been listening to a single word she's been saying. "Yeah, I am." I laugh, knowing that she knows I wasn't.

Steph turns to look over at Hayley. She stares at her for a few seconds and a grin appears across her face, "still hate her then?"

For a moment I'm surprised that Steph isn't annoyed that I lost interest in our conversation for Hayley, but I gladly get over it. Then I look back over at Hayley who is now laughing away at something with Amelia. I roll my eyes at them and cross my arms in annoyance.

"Obviously," I reply back.

My eyes stay stuck on Hayley as I wonder what she could possible be doing with that guy and how the hell I'm going to find out. Surely she's not with him, she could definitely do way better.

I watch on as she takes her sports kit out of her locker and slings it over her shoulder. She must have P.E next.

"How easy do you think it would be to get her locker combination?" My thoughts turn into a question for Steph, who had already turned back around a few moments ago and is now rummaging through her bag; probably looking for her phone.