Eat Your Young

The nobles of Jorvik all amassed on the dance floor of the king's castle. Lords and Ladies alike took hold of a dancing partner. Just as Victoria was about to set off in search of Gunnar or Anne, Lorensson tapped her shoulder lightly. She spun to face him and craned her neck up to see his face. He appeared almost sheepish but still smiled warmly. "Lady Victoria, I was wondering if you'd do me the honour of giving me this dance?"

            She took a deep breath before answering. At this point in Victoria's life with the nobility of Jorvik, she had just assumed that dancing with Gunnar was the default during balls, especially when he invited her to them. Maybe everyone expected her to or maybe she expected it. Of course, Victoria couldn't turn down Lorensson even if she wanted to. Mainly because he was such good company and a dear friend to her over the past few weeks. "Of course, I will."

            The pair made their way to the floor as the musician struck up a familiar chord. The music started out with violins and a cello creating a low, haunting sound. A bow and a curtsy were performed before everyone was off. Lorensson placed a hand on Victoria's waist, his other holding her hand delicately. He began leading Victoria around in a circle as the entire congregation all formed a circle where they weaved in and out, barely leaving the room for someone to walk through without getting hit or having to swerve. But the style worked, and the dancers all moved about with practiced ease. The dance started out slow, just like the music. Victoria's skirts twirled and shifted quickly as she spun and moved about. Finally, the music picked up tempo and Lorensson followed pace. Bells chimed lightly, painting the picture of an old forest in a fog with a lazy fall of rain. The movements were graceful and fluid, the dancers seeming no longer human or mortal.

            Just as Victoria was about to spin out, she locked eyes with Gunnar who stood by a lone bannister. Lorensson twirled Victoria outwards and she elegantly stretched her hand towards Gunnar. His eyes flicked downwards briefly before he reached out to brush her hand. Just as the two were about to make contact, the music swelled and Lorensson pulled Victoria back into his arms. She was whisked away to the other side of the room where the dance ended just as quickly as it began in a sharp cadence.

            Victoria curtsied to Lorensson before hurrying outside and into the garden. The crisp air slid over her welcomingly, clearing her head and cooling her sweaty skin. When she had been pulled away, the expressionless mask that Gunnar usually wore while in the presence of other members of higher society, had dropped and it looked, even for a fraction of a second, as though his heart had broken. It was a strange thing to see upon the man, considering he was always stoic and serious during social gatherings. Maybe the lighting played a trick, or maybe Victoria simply imagined it.

            But, if that was the case, then why was he walking towards her? Gunnar moved by other guests, his eyes set on Victoria. He seemed so much different than when she met him, but then again, no noble of Jorvik seemed to give Gunnar the time of day. Only the Jarl, Lorensson and Victoria did. Even though she knew the legends of Gunnar from her timeline, and what he'd been thought of, she still couldn't understand why it was this way.

            "Victoria, we haven't had the chance to talk this evening." He looked down at her solemnly. There was no trace of Gunnar's usual lopsided smile or teasing nature that was often present around or directed to Victoria. The absence of that sent a chill down Victoria's spine.

            "No, I suppose we haven't. Is that a problem?" her voice wavered slightly and she cursed herself. Gunnar was her friend, so why was she nervous? Maybe it was because he appeared almost disappointed in Victoria, and made her feel like a scolded puppy who was being dragged away from fun by the scruff of her neck.

            "No, not necessarily." Not necessarily? What in the name of Aideen did that mean? That it was a problem, but not a big one? Gunnar was infuriating and his shadiness was not helping calm Victoria's nerves. "Have fun with Lorensson?"