Hunt for You

TW: Gore

March 27th, 1946

Poland

"It's okay, Roach." Simon said, his voice low. There was still danger of being discovered. "Having to hide never bothered me. We can go to the countryside, like you wanted."

He shifted. They had plenty of reason to hide beyond their mutually stolen humanity. They were regarded as a deadly duo, and those that valued their skills often chose to overlook their obvious closeness. They avoided affection but they were far too connected for anyone looking close enough not to notice.

There were plenty who didn't overlook it, so they pocketed it carefully. Protected it. Keeping it a secret somehow made it sweeter. It was only theirs.

They were in the field now, side by side as always. The war was officially over but British intelligence had tasked them with taking out several fringe Nazi sympathizer operations. They were deep in Polish wilderness, but not deep enough. They'd taken out their target but it seemed they'd been compromised. Simon had managed to pull them into what appeared to be a safe location to reconvene and plan a route out.

It was quiet for the moment. He pulled Gary closer, halfway into his lap.

"You were right, we should take a break after this." He pulled off his gloves. "I'm so tired."

He looked down at Roach's face. One perfect brown eye stared back up at him. The other was gone. Blown through the back of his head.

His blood soaked Simon's leg, it was splattered across his face and the right side of his body. It felt cold in the night air.

Simon ran his thumb along Roach's jaw, and down the side of his neck.

"Beautiful boy." He murmured.

He left his hands wet and uncovered as the sun rose and he pulled his companion over his shoulder, leaving literal pieces of him behind. They had to leave before it was light enough to be seen.

--

January 13th, 1943

London

It was a particularly cold winter, and they'd been in the field for weeks, spying. Their ability to go longer without sleep and food made them slick, silent operators, they often came in together, quietly, and left the same way once they were done.

They had finished a mission, successfully, and had some time. A week maybe. And they were both hungry.

The flat they had shared for a year was wrapped in warmth and privacy, two things they had been without for some time. They were both hungry, but not just for sustenance.

Simon was often wary when they returned from duty, anticipating when the younger, more outgoing man would tire of his reclusive nature and dark demeanor. Everything felt precarious to him, but especially these good things. Any good things.

But Gary always looked like a weight had fallen from his shoulders when they returned. Like he finally felt safe. He could let his guard down. If that's what Simon could provide for him, then he would do it to the best of his abilities until the day he died.

He watched every one of the other man's movements. How he removed his gear, set his boots back by the door, weapons on the table. He mimicked some of them, slower. He'd rather just watch Roach. After a few moments, Gary approached him. Simon looked at him expectantly.

"You're doing it again." He said, taking Simon's jacket out of his hands and checking the pockets before hanging it up beside his.

Simon looked down, continuing to undress. "I don't know what you mean."