Until I Wrap Myself Inside Your Arms, I Cannot Rest

They met Price and Laswell just outside the city. That wasn't what Simon had been expecting and he wrapped his hand around his weapon as he gently let Soap lay back against the seat and opened the door. He didn't leave him.

"Ghost." The man greeted him. "How is he?"

"He needs medical attention, Price, what are we doing out here?"

John Price swiped a hand over his mouth. "There was no one there, Simon. A few guards out front, the two with Soap. They'd taken nearly everything else and ran."

"Ran where?" Simon said.

"Can't be sure." Kate spoke up. "But we're moving to a safe house until we can be sure the base is clear."

"Their guards weren't trained. Not military, anyway. This is further underground than I expected." Price nodded to Simon. "They'll be looking for you. And they'll expect the two of you to be together." He motioned to the seat behind him.

Simon glanced over his shoulder at Soap. His eyes were closed, but he knew he was listening. "They'd be correct."

Price just nodded. He'd expected the finality in his words. "Kate has a safe house ready. I'll see you there."

Without further explanation, he got back in the other car and Kate Laswell switched with the man in the passenger seat of their truck. She directed the driver but didn't say much else. Nothing felt safe.

It wasn't a long drive. Soap leaned on Ghost's shoulder, still. Simon measured every one of his breaths. He counted every heartbeat, listening for any that seemed irregular.

Simon helped Soap out of the car although the man shook his hand free when they stepped out onto the ground. He gave Simon a grateful smile though. He hadn't spoken. Simon needed to be alone with him, to figure out how far they'd gotten. To make sure he was going to be okay. To find a way to handle it if he wasn't.

A man with medic on a patch on his chest met them. Soap went willingly. Simon moved to follow but Laswell caught his arm. He glanced down at her and pulled his arm free like he was going to follow them anyway. Letting Johnny out of his sight wasn't exactly what he wanted in that moment. Or ever again.

"Let them go. I just need a minute." He paused a second longer and then followed her into a dark room. She flipped on the light. "It appears the Berlin location was hardly an operation. It was mostly a cover, a means by which to get what they needed from you." Simon nodded, frowning, letting her finish. "Price has gone to sort through the bit of intel we picked up and move everyone off the base. There's a fear it's been compromised."

"Why did they leave Soap behind?"

"I was hoping you might be able to say." She said, guarded. She thought they may have already turned him.

He nodded, understanding. "I should be able to tell." He lowered his voice. "We'll all be able to tell in a day or two."

She pursed her lips. "That's what I'm afraid of."

"If not that, maybe they were hoping to trap us there. Maybe we actually caught them off guard." He swallowed, sudden concern for his Captain rising in his throat. "Or the trap is laid somewhere else."

She nodded. "We're on the lookout." She motioned back toward the door. "Go check on him."

Despite feeling like he had no idea what was actually going on, stepping back out into the hall to find his way to Soap took a weight off of Simon's shoulders. He already knew what he was going to do if they'd turned him. It would mean he had only a couple of days before bloodlust set in that was so strong it would kill him if he didn't feed. They would leave together and Simon would get them what he needed. Nurse him through it.