three. to make a secret

-CHAPTER THREE-
~to make a secret~

AS THE DAYS SURGED on, Viola began dancing with the notion that tranquility was a myth

AS THE DAYS SURGED on, Viola began dancing with the notion that tranquility was a myth. That peace was so slippery it could never be attained in even the strongest of grasps. How it seeped out through interlocked fingers and escaped in its unsteady stream down a rocky bank. Her ideas of such a thing kept presenting themselves at the most random of moments, where calmness was abundant and distress meant to be erased.

As she lay on a mattress, watching the shimmering moon as it wavered through the window panes. Ginny's light breaths as soft as the blanket Viola had long since shoved off. Nightmares.

While having dinner in the kitchen, sometimes with guests. Tonks rarely made an appearance anymore, but Kingsley, Lupin, Mad-Eye and a few other Aurors often came with stories and hearty conversations. The underlying knowledge that they just came from a long day of hunting Voldemort.

Speaking with Fleur Delacour as she began to spend more time inside the house getting to know the Weasleys. Viola had learned a little bit of French, and would sometimes offer a game of Gobstones. The Triwizard Tournament acting as an unseen, tethering bond.

It was going to drive her into madness soon if she kept it up. Viola wasn't sure that optimism had ever been able to take the reins of her thoughts, but now the depressing cynicism that corrupted even the bubbles of happiness was becoming too much.

So she tried ramping up her cheeriness. Greeting everyone with a smile, complimenting people on random things. But even that was short-lived when Ron was convinced that she had actually just contracted some fatal disease that made her unprecedentedly sunny.

At least something to naturally perk up her mood came a few days later in the form of Hermione's arrival. She had written to them the previous day, saying that she had returned from the trip with her parents. They were a little hesitant to let her leave so early in the holidays, but they relented with a little convincing.

"They know that something's going on, just not what," Hermione explained as Viola helped her bring her bags upstairs. "The Muggles are getting all the news of Death Eater attacks, of course, but they just think they're natural disasters. Like the amount of fog there's been, not knowing it's really the dementors..."

"It's really not good if even they're all aware that something is up," said Viola. She pushed open the door to Ginny's room, which they were all now going to be sharing. Viola didn't mind at all; it felt a little like getting to share a room with sisters. She'd had her own room her whole life, and switching that was a nice change. "But anyway, how's your summer been, apart from the impending doom?"

"Oh, it's been nice." She put her trunk down on top of the extra mattress that Mrs. Weasley had brought up that morning. "But it seems yours has been more interesting than mine. You really got your wand back? And no one signed the note that came with it?"