six. a bloody sorting

-CHAPTER SIX-
~a bloody sorting~

VIOLA THOUGHT THAT there existed a certain loneliness in her life that would always rear its head because of her family

VIOLA THOUGHT THAT there existed a certain loneliness in her life that would always rear its head because of her family. It wasn't as though she felt alone anymore — she had her friends now. Yet a cavernous pit that had been covered for a while was left gaping wide after her talk with Edwin. It made her think of the day he had been born. Way back, when she had been excited for her first little friend, when she was still considered worthwhile by her parents. When there was still some semblance of a family hiding under the mountainous pile of lies.

So Edwin didn't want to talk to her, nor did he need her to stick up for him. But what about when he had been three and couldn't sleep until she checked around his room for a Boggart? When he was four and needed her to get a spider away from him? When he was five and made her test him on his favourite definitions? Had his need for her truly evaporated under the heat of a few years?

She hadn't been expecting his attitude to affect her so much. Perhaps, in the time of seeing him less than usual, her mind had conjured up some kind of delusion that they could be friends now that it was the two of them at school together. Now that their parents were crumbling, and they were the only two innocent ones left in the family. That some kind of bond might have connected them in ways it never had before. These desires were never active, but Viola was beginning to realise they had occurred nonetheless.

But Edwin was Edwin, and he hadn't thought the same.

"You look like you had a cheerful conversation," Ron observed as she slid open the door to their compartment.

"Yeah, very jolly," she said quietly, eyes scanning the seats that looked emptier than before. "Where are Harry and Neville?"

"They got invited by Slughorn to a lunch in his compartment," said Hermione; one of the puzzles from The Quibbler was open in her lap, already near complete though she hadn't started it before Edwin's appearance. "A third year delivered the invitations, they were quite fancy."

While Viola knew that both of her parents would have been taught by Slughorn when they were at Hogwarts, she didn't know much about the man himself. Her parents never spoke much about their school days, or their pasts at all, which didn't give her much to build an impression on. But it wasn't as though the professors often went around inviting some students to lunch — fancy ones, nonetheless.

"But... why?" she asked, when Hermione did not elaborate.

"Well," said Ron, kicking his legs up onto the spare seat next to him that Viola had been about to take, "we know why Harry's invited. As for Neville, that's anyone's guess."