2. First Day of School

As I drive the two of us to school, I feel myself becoming more and more nervous. I know that I should be optimistic but from the bullying to the pure embarrassment I don't know how to feel.

My train of thought is disrupted as I pull into the parking spot and see Leo hurry out of the car.

" Come on Piper. We are going to be late."

" Hey, it's not my fault that traffic was really bad this morning," I spit back as we walk into the school's front doors.

Why is he so eager to make it on time? I have never seen him be this strict about school. In the past, all he cared about was the school lunch and seeing his two friends. Maybe there is a girl that he wants to see. He has always had crushes throughout the years. It was hard to keep up.

As we walk into the building full of chaos and teenagers of all sorts, I see Leo pull out a paper assuming that it is his schedule.

"I'll see you after school. As of right now, we aren't related and we don't know each other." I raise my eyebrows in shock.

Am I that embarrassing or horrible to be seen with? I bet it has something to do with what has happened to me in the past. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, especially my own brother. I don't blame him. If I were him I would do the same thing. After all, it is his first year of high school.

" Okay. try to have a good day." He starts to walk away as I finish my sentence. I pull a paper out from the back pocket of my pants.

Okay, now it's my turn. Let's see what my first class is. History. I have always sucked at history.

After running around the campus, I finally find the right classroom and walk in. People are walking around with all their backpacks still on.

" Everyone, I have already arranged a seat for you. Refer to the seating chart on the board if you have trouble finding your seat."

Haha, classical assigned seats. That's high school for you. 

I find my seat and look who is sitting around me. I don't recognize anyone in this class. I think I am safe. No one knows me. Or at least I think they don't.

The teacher starts her lecture and everyone starts to scribble notes into their notebooks. As I scan the people around me a person catches my eye.

He seems to have a lot of friends in this class. The other students in the seats next to him are whispering to each other and occasionally letting out small chuckles.

Our eyes meet and I feel he can see through me. He is looking at me as if I am an undiscovered species. Does he know who I am? He has a slight look of curiosity. 

I watch the teacher walk over to the group of talking students and lock eyes with the boy.

" Is there anything you would like to share with the class?" She says as she puts her hand on her hip.

He breaks eye contact and shifts his eyes toward the teacher.

" No Ma'am." She nods and walks back to the center of the room.

" Very well. As I was saying earlier American history is very important at this time period."

I smile while looking down at the paper in front of me.

He seems to be polite. He looks like one of those popular ignorant jocks. I should definitely stay away from him. We all know how things would play out in these types of stories.

The bell rings and everyone spread like cockroaches. That class wasn't that bad.

Onto my next class. Biology. I have always liked science. This class should be fun.