chapter 5

"goodnight my betrothed"

Nymeria sunk to the floor. after hearing the sound of retreating footsteps she let her tears fall. it was so overwhelming just being in Kingslanding and now she was to be married to someone she barely knew. she sat there for hours and by the time she had cleared her head the sun was already rising. instead of going to the bed the princess dressed in her riding leathers and made her way over to the balcony that opened up to the ocean reaching the handrails she drew her fingers to her mouth and let out a loud sharp whistle. within seconds the sound of heavy beating wings could be heard and soon she had launched herself off the rails of her balcony and managed to grasp the handles of her dragon's saddle.

"sōvegon"

the cannibal flapped its large wings propelling them forward. it felt like hours had gone past before Nymeria spotted a small island below them. commanding the cannibal to fly lower and circle the small island she could see that the island was uninhabited. she landed her dragon on a beach scattered with rocks. the sun was not yet fully in the sky so the temperature was still cold so the princess busied herself with lighting a small fire.

"has anyone seen Nymeria" Rhaenyra questioned one of her maids

"Not since last night your highness"

"send one of the knights to fetch her"

"of course your highness"

she bowed and left the room. the same maid returned half an hour later with a worried look on her face.

"both princess Nymeria and her dragon are missing your highness."

Rhaenyra immediately got up from her seat and made her way towards the queen's chambers.

"my queen, princess Rhaenyra is here"

"let her in"

"Whatever is the matter Rhaenyra"

"my daughter is missing. no one has seen her since last night at dinner. her dragon is gone too."

"dear god, have you spoken to Aemond? he returned her to her chambers"

"no, I did not think to I had just assumed she had gone to train early this morning

"of course I shall tell a knight to fetch him. while we wait you must sit and have tea with me"

the two sat in an awkward silence neither one of them knowing how to approach a conversation with an old friend. the silence was interrupted by the doors opening and Aemonds arrival being announced.

"Mother, sister. why have I been called here."

"Nymeria and her dragon are missing"

"how long have they been gone"

"since last night. you were the last one to see her."

"and then could you tell me why you have not sent anyone to find her"

"well I had hoped that my daughter would return on her own-"

"-Why would she do that she left for a reason"

"Rhaenyra how would you suggest we go about searching for the princess"

"I wouldn't know where to begin without my dragon here with me. so I suggest we hope that she just comes back soon-"

"Enough this is pointless. I shall take Vhagar and search for her. you both best hope that she has not gone too far."

and with that Aemond left the room. he made his way towards the dragon pit making quick work of mounting his oversized beast. commanding Vhagar to fly they made their way in the direction of the ocean her window faced. his eyes scanned the islands below them they had been flying for around two hours before he spotted a particularly bleak island but this time this one had a large dragon sprawled out on the beach. commanding Vhagar to land they descended from the sky in the process waking the dragon and the princess who slept nearby. when Vhagar landed the cannibal threatened by her presence shielded Nymeria from the dragon. before the cannibal could make any move to attack the larger dragon Nymeria stepped between the two and commanded her dragon to fly.

"hello uncle"

"niece"

"what brings you here?"

"I was sent to find you by our mothers. you have caused a fair bit of trouble for them. so tell me dear niece what was your reason for leaving without notifying anyone, because you best have one."

"Sleep did not find me last night and by the time it did the sun was already rising. so I decided to go for a ride to clear my head. is it that a good enough reason my prince."

"hmm, call your dragon down, we must be on our way."

"of course"

the princess once again drew her fingers to her mouth and whistled loud and clear alerting her dragon. the two of them mounted their dragons and commanded them to fly. Nymeria found she was always happiest with her dragon and she had thought that Aemond felt the same way. there ride was for the most part a silent one the only noise being the occasional things that she whispered to her dragon. as soon as she spotted kings landing the cannibal seemed to sense her eagerness to rid herself of her uncles company and began to fly faster towards the dragon pit. after quickly dismounting she commanded her dragon to fly. he was a wild dragon and wouldn't do well in the confines of chains. a carriage was stationed close to the dragon pit, a member of the Kingsguard motioned her to enter the carriage. she had sat in the carriage for a few minuets before the door was jerked open and Aemond stepped inside. his long legs making the carriage far more cramped than it should have been. the awkwardness of their legs touching each time the carriage went over a bump in the road. the carriage finally stopped, forgetting about his height Nymeria tried to stand and quickly exit the carriage, but the movement resulted in her falling, only catching herself on his broad shoulders. Sharing a brief awkward glance she hastily  pushed herself off of him she opened up the door and practically fell to the ground. luckily Aemond had reached forward and grabbed onto her hand just before her head hit the ground. he pulled her to her feet. 

she turned around to see....