72

New York had always been home to Heather, but this time around the air smelt stale and the only thing on her mind was meeting with her father as fast as she could, she didn't want to waste any time here when her very soul was back in Texas.

"Ma'am!"

Heather rolled her eyes at the large sign board her father's driver was waving around. "Hello Alphonso. How's your family?"

"They are very fine madam. Let me help you with your bags."

"No, I think I'm good. That signboard looks like it weighs a ton so why don't you focus on dragging that back."

Alphonso colored red from his neck up, "You father was the one who came up with this idea, I told him that it wasn't needed but he said that his daughter was coming home and deserved the best treatment."

"I come home every once in a while, there was really no need for him to be dramatic." Heather rolled her eyes behind her sunglasses, "Let's go then, I want to get this visit done and over before sundown."

"Sundown?" Alphonso paused and frowned. "Your father has prepared a feast for you, a party of some sorts. Everybody who is anybody is going to be there."

"Party?" Her father only threw parties if he achieved something great or acquired something his adversaries wanted. "What could it be? No time to waste then, lets hit the road."

"Yes ma'am"

°°°

Maxwell was standing at the door of the mansion when Heather pulled up, smiling from ear to ear with his arms extended. "Hello, my darling. I thought you would never make it."

Heather let herself be pulled stiffly into her father's embrace. "What is going on? You're acting strangely. I have no intention of wasting time here either way, I just want to hash this out and be on my merry way and out of your hair."

"You could never be a bother to me my dear."

"You didn't want to know I existed after your divorce till I graduated college and automatically became your heir." Heather sighed, "I don't want to fight with you dad so let's go into your study, talk about business and carry on with our lives besides I live halfway across town, this place never felt like a home to me."

"Patience." Max tsked. "I'm throwing a party and I would like very much for you to attend."

"Do I have a choice?"

"No. you don't"

"Then why bother asking." Heather waved off the housekeeper who reached for her bags and stepped into her father's home. The house hadn't changed even after many years of avoiding it. It still felt cold and empty, with people running everywhere to cross check the decorations, throwing parties was her father's way of rubbing it into everyone's face that he was better than them and no matter how much they tried to reach him, he would always be standing several steps higher than them all.

°°°

Heather sat through the torture of getting her face painted and her eyebrows plucked to perfection, her hair had been fixed into a simple French twist that accentuated her sharp jawline and round face. Her lipstick was leaning into the nude faction giving her a very natural look that was worth the hours of gluing her ass to a chair.

"I'm done miss, do you need help getting into your dress?"

Heather blinked to make sure her eye lids weren't glued to her face since she had kept them open for a long time. "That's fine, I can handle that part."