ONC 2023 (Prompt #5)

Open Novella Contest 2023

~~The Writing Prompt I selected~~

5. Flip the coin and make a life choice with it. Two choices, one coin, and no turning back. Do you dare?

I think I found the perfect writing prompt for my ONC 2023 Novella! In the story to come, someone has made the decision to kill, and it's definitely a choice that will change their life forever. Once blood has been spilled, there is no going back.

I started out this year with a plan to write a locked-room murder mystery with the intention to query literary agents when it's completed. If you didn't know, a locked-room murder mystery is where all the characters are isolated in a remote place. One of them is the killer, and it's the job of the sleuth character to solve the murder. Think Agatha Christie, Murder on the Orient Express or Death on the Nile. The concept of this intrigued me so much I wanted to write one myself. Of course, I want to turn up the heat! The killer not only wants to kill one person. No, they want to kill all the other characters too!

An important element of a good murder mystery is what writers refer to as red herrings. This is false information given with the intent to lead the reader in the wrong direction. To get them thinking one way, believing someone is the killer, when someone else has been the killer all along. With that said, I need to practice my red herring skills for the novel I have been working on, and I thought the Open Novella Contest this year would be the perfect opportunity to improve my skills. I hope you enjoy the story. Please feel free to vote and comment!

I really want to get you twisted up with this story. That's why I called it Twisted Ice;)