18: The Inevitable Meeting

"Nahanap mo na?", tanong ni Rafa kay Belize sabay ngiti.

"Yup Ate", sagot naman nito, while holding up a book.  "You okae?"

Napaisip si Rafa bago tumango.

"I saw some of your books pala Ate and they're really a hit, they're restocking the store as we speak. Ano ang pakiramdam nang marami ang nakaka-appreciate sa pieces mo?"

Ngumiti muna si Rafa bago sumagot, "Masaya, a little proud too. Kahit hindi ka nila kilala nang personal, the thought na nakaka-entertain ka or nakakatulong ka, enough na yun para mapawi lahat nang hirap."

"Wala ka talagang balak ipaalam sa public ang real identity mo, Ate? Sayang naman!"

"I don't think of it as 'sayang'. The anonymity just makes it more alluring don't you think? Besides, with the rate of my stories I'd be bombarded with pappzzz now. It's a good thing that they haven't caught on that Im home. I never wanted to be an heiress,  I'm not complaining about my heritage but sometimes I wish life could be simple. That's where Simon comes in, without the readers knowing who Simon is, the mystery is there."

"I understand now. You really have a way with words, Ate. Ang lalim mo!"

"Very funny, halika na nga baka gutom na sina Barn"

Mas magaan na ang pakiramdam ni Rafa ngayon at malaking factor ang mga kasama niya. Maybe all she needed was to get out of the house and be with her friends. Aminin man niya o hindi, gusto niyang makita si Red kahit saglit lang, kahit sandali lang.

And God must have heard her wish and prayer..

"There you are, lets's go I'm starving"

Kahit hindi lumingon si Rafa, kilala niya ang may-ari nang boses na yun. How can she forget she'd been wanting to hear that voice. She'd been wishing to see the owner of that voice's face.  But something's very wrong, the look on Belize's face is that of annoyance. What can annoy this bubbly lady?

Nasagot ang katanungan ni Rafa, paglingon niya. There infront of her, si Red with Isobel. Though she was shocked and very disappointed, she tried hard not to show it.

Tumingin siya sa dating kasintahan, he's handsome as always even with the light dark circles below his eyes and she must have imagined the feelings that his eyes conveyed. She saw longing and love but as soon as it was there it disappeared so soon.

***********

He wasn't expecting her to be there. If he had known, hindi na lang sana siya pumayag na sumama si Isobel.

He noticed how she lost some weight. Looking at her standing there with her long black hair in plain white shirt, faded skinny blue jeans and sneakers, she can take any man's breath away without even trying hard. When was the last time he laid eyes on her. He couldn't help but stare at her brown eyes and glancing at her pink sweet  innocent lips, he fought so hard not to taste them right there and then.

**********

Lunch would have been a silent event kung hindi dahil sa mga kuwento ni Barnabie. The child oblivious about the tension around him. Habang si Rafa tumatango lang o ngumingiti sa mga kuwento nang bata si Red naman pinipilit ang sariling makinig kay Isobel kahit ang atensyon niya ay nasa dalagang laging nasa isip at panaginip niya.

He saw the flicker of disappointment from Rafa's eyes, nang makita niya si Isobel. Gusto niyang magpaliwanag, gusto niyang malaman ni Rafa na hindi niya gustong isama si Isobel.

Naabutan niya konti ang pag-uusap ni Rafa at ni Belize kanina at may bago na naman siyang nalaman tungkol sa dating kasintahan. Only a few women of her age wouldn't want the limelight. But there she was, cloaked in anonymity and his heart swell with pride.  But the question is did he have the right to?

They really need to talk or he'll go crazy.

*******