Chapter 4. The Destination

It's been an half an hour since the plane departed but we haven't said a single word - me being tired and her being silent after I told her to knock it off. I appreciated her effort but I was too exhausted to even play with her. Sometimes a person had his own limitations.

Not a little while later, I got surprised when she spoke. I thought she was asleep already. She's wearing her shades so I couldn't see if she's really sleeping or not. "Alex, are you sleeping?" she asked. I was wearing my shades too, that's why.

"Yeah. I'm sleeping. I'm sleep-talking." I answered sarcastically not turning my head towards her.

"Ha-ha, funny," she said bitterly. "But anyway, thanks."

"For what?"

"You know, for being patient, for the cap, for the apple, for the jacket and..." she trailed off, "...and for tagging me along."

"Right," I said.

"I'm serious. Thank you, Alex," she insisted.

"Don't get too cheesy on me," I teased. She whacked my head lightly. "That is harassment," I warned but she did it again. "One more, Jaz and I'll push you off this plane!" I hissed not wanting the flight attendants to hear me. She seemed to get the idea and went silent.

I thought I could get another round of silence when she spoke again. "Do you think they've found out already?" she asked catching me off guard.

"Well, I bet they have. It's been 3 hours."

She nodded. Unfortunately, I couldn't read her eyes because of her shades but her voice was mixed with regret. Though it vanished when she said, "Well, we're not going to find out since our phones are shut off, right? They can't even contact us."

"Yeah, sure. Don't turn it on until I tell you so," I told her.

"Yes, boss." Never imagined she'd call me boss one day.

SUMMER ESCAPADE

Turns out, we were headed to Heatherfield - a prosperous city on the western part of the country. I heard a lot about the city though I've never been here. With the Metropolis (north) and Grandville (east) as the major bustling cities in the country, I didn't get the chance to explore the western part, much less the south. The airport itself told a lot about how prosperous this city is. From a far, I could see the skyline and their twinkling lights of the group of all buildings collectively where the center of business was.

I was thinking we'd go international but that seemed ridiculous and all since I was not bringing any passport or documents. So I guessed it'd be just domestic. But still I was surprised we were headed here! It could have been the capital city or some remote island.

Where did he plan on staying here anyway? Did he have a friend who lives here? Distant relatives perhaps? Or was he that rich to have to own a house here? Wow! I know they're well off but why own a house here?

I was beginning to believe that my latter guess was right when he told me the place we are going to stay in. We've already got out of Gerard Heatherfield International Airport and were waiting outside. My duffel bag was now slung in his shoulder while I now carry his. Sometimes it made me feel guilty but I felt something aside from that. I really didn't know what. Anyway, Alex was a gentleman despite his attitude, that I can tell and I really appreciated this.

"Phil is going to pick us up," he informed me.

Phil? As in our classmate back in high school? "As in 'our' Phil? He knows about this?" I asked confused.