The End.

The wind swirled around our small group quietly ruffling our clothes and hair as we stood outside staring down at the headstone set to remember someone so close to us. Tears brimmed in my eyes as the time finally came to fill in the hole. It was hard watching that dirt fall into the whole covering the special coffin. Soft sobs racked my chest as I desperately wiped at my eyes to get rid of the tears that were falling.

“We are here today to mourn the life of a dear friend. He was always there for us when we needed him and there was no one else that could cheer us up like he did. Even if all he ever wanted to do was watch football and ignore Adrian.”

I ignored Elle’s words as I stared down at the grave. My heart clenched in my chest as I thought about all the days that I had spent with him. All the hours I had spent catering to his every whim and all the things we did together. He was special to me and I loved him. Why for once couldn’t I just be happy? I had given this my all and it ended like this…again.

“Adrian is there anything you want to say?” Elle asked me as she finished speaking.

“He was always there for us no matter what we were going through. He kept us happy and entertained with his little antics. Although it’s true that he would just sit there and do nothing but watch football with Paul he was what I wanted.” I cried out.

“Does anyone have any other words in regards to Mr. Goldstein?”

“Can anyone please explain to me why we’re standing out here in the dead of winter to bury a fish?” Paul droned with his hands tucked firmly into his pockets as the wind rushed past us breezily.

“He was more than a fish!” I cried as I buried my head into Alex’s shoulder.

“He was a fish that you won at a carnival who ignored you and only stared at the TV.” Paul commented dryly.

“That may be true but he was my fish that I got a carnival that ignored me and only stared at the TV!”

“I’m not doing this…” Paul sighed as he threw up his hands in frustration before stalking back inside.

“Um…Adrian this is going kind of far over a fish don’t you think?” Alex asked as his hand rubbed my back gently.

“No…He was such an amazing fish. Not like the others…” I muttered as I thought about the other fish I had accidentally killed only months before.

“Can we go inside now?” Elle asked impatiently.

“Fine. We can go inside and someone can help me find a pet that won’t die on me so easily.” I whined as Alex ushered me inside. Alex and Elle plopped down on the couch next to Paul who was resting on the couch, watching TV, while I dropped right into his lap. Without a second thought he wrapped his arms around my waist holding me still.

“So the fish funeral is done?” He asked dryly.

“Yes the funeral for Mr. Goldstein is done.” I snapped at him. He rolled his eyes at me which only made me want to harass him more. “So Paul can we get another fish?”

“No. You already killed enough of them to feed a small army.”

“Fine. Such a meany.” I pouted as I stared at the show that was on.

“So are we just going to sit here and watch this random show that Paul seems so engrossed in?” Elle asked sounding bored already.

“What do you want to do?” Alex asked her.

“Well Joey wanted to meet up and just chill so if we’re not doing anything special…” Elle let the rest of that sentence hang letting us know that she was just planning on being naughty with Joey. Ew.