CHAPTER 4: SUMMER OF '69

At some point Banshee and Maverick went through separate ways. The sun was about to set on the horizon, it was the perfect time for the girl to think. She looked for some calm place and found out she could go to the dorm's rooftop; there was the opportunity to have an awesome vision of a perfect moment.

The tired pilot stared at the orange tones of the sky far away, taking a deep breath as a tear ran down her face.

- Hi mom... - Anne whispered, looking down at her trembling hands. – I thought I would end up being by myself again today; I don't think I could keep going if something happened to them. God, I was so scared...

She let the tears come, they wouldn't stop for a couple of minutes, but then Anne was finally calmer.

Ever since Anne was just a child, sometimes she would see her dad talking to his best friend, "Goose", whom unfortunately died not so long before her mother did. Pete did that especially when he was worrying about something or felt lost and, even, alone; that's how she learnt she could do the same with her mother that was no longer with her.

Even if she didn't know a lot about her mother, she still had a strong bond with her; well, it was – and still is – her mother after all.

Pete Mitchell avoided the maximum to talk to Anne about her mom, even after so many years he still thought she was his littler girl and that he should protect her. But in that moment, Anne knew how ready she was; she wanted to know more about her and her past. She needed to.

I walked through the installations corridors in hope I could find my father

I walked through the installations corridors in hope I could find my father. Entering in every single room I could put my foot on, but after 45 minutes I realized it was useless; my dad was nowhere to be found at the moment. What a perfect time for him to disappear.

It was night time already and, since I left everyone behind after that awful training, I was by myself not knowing where everyone was or what they were doing. I didn't think it was the time to talk to Rooster also, so I decided to ignore his existence for as long as I could.

- So the Captain's daughter finally decided to show up. – I heard someone saying behind me as I left the cafeteria.

Turning back, I was now facing the annoying one: Hangman. He came closer, giving me a look I wouldn't know what was being saying at all.

- Yet the first person I found is you, have to admit I'm unlucky today.

Hangman gave me the same annoying grin he would give every time.

- I would actually say your little dad is the unlucky one, well, at least that's what I think when I see someone being called out by some superiors. But I think you know it better than me. – And by that he passed by me as he entered the cafeteria.

I was left thinking, what could happen with my dad at this point for what he did out there?!

I walked as fast as I could to the floor where Rear Admiral's office was, if I was fast enough, I could find my dad middle way. Which, gladly, was exactly what happened.