Chapter 2

Anton Akhmerov Bounces Back in Monte Carlo

April 20, 2008

Tim O'Neill

Anton Akhmerov barely edged past Germany's Xeno Haase at the qualifiers of the Monte-Carlo Masters to get to the main event of the tournament, but not before displaying his infamous temper.

The former world number one, who was also a winner of the Australian Open, French Open, and the US Open, has fallen in the rankings to 200 in the world after a six-month break following a shoulder injury.

The Russian Bad Boy of Tennis, who has only been back in the circuit this March, was clearly agitated as he lost focus during the first set after a double bounce call. Akhmerov spent the next ten minutes arguing with umpire Kostas Daniilidou between games, hitting a ball into the crowd, committing unforced errors, and smashing his racket against a chair. He eventually took the second set, 7-5 and the third set, 6-3, after an hour and 47 minutes. However, Akhmerov was hit with a code violation for unsportsmanlike conduct.

During his interview, the Russian explained that the fine was not for the disturbance he caused when he badgered the umpire regarding the double bounce call, but for racket abuse and for swearing at himself.

"My name is now a curse," said Akhmerov, more amused than dismayed by the code violation. "How can the umpires know what we are saying? He is Greek—how can he understand Russian? I was angry with myself for making a mistake and this is why I screamed my name. I told myself not to f*ck up, that is all."

For his first round match, Akhmerov will face the Italian Roberto Iaconno, who defeated Nathan Emerson of the USA.

SOPHIE

"Hello, Sophie," says O'Brien as he opens the door.

"How are you, O'Brien?" I ask, nodding at him.

"Very well, and you?" He angles his head slightly to one side.

"I'm okay." I smile at him. "You look great though." He does have a few more gray hairs, but O'Brien is still as imposing as ever.

O'Brien is our chauffeur and bodyguard, who's worked for my stepfather Peter for years, even before he became Governor of Massachusetts. We never had any need for bodyguards before, but now my mother couldn't go anywhere without O'Brien. For a time, he used to drive us to and from school. My brother Jamie and I used to wonder about O'Brien. Connor had told us he was CIA, and that he served in former Soviet Bloc countries, probably Israel too. But who knows? Connor always said things like that back then and we didn't know if they were true or not. Anyway, my mother trusted O'Brien, and that meant we could trust him. I mean she certainly trusted him to protect us, until of course I decided I was too old to need protection. The only person he's in charge of these days is my brother Jamie, and that means Jamie is also here. I can't help but brighten at the prospect of seeing my brother again. Just outside the doorway to the living room, two men in dark suits are waiting. My stepfather's security detail.

We walk towards the doorway, but before we go through, O'Brien says, "Happy birthday."

"It's not for another week."

Mrs. Garrick, the housekeeper helps me with my keffiyeh. She glances at the tasseled red and white scarf briefly, quietly judging and postponing judgment, and then I hand her my fishing creel basket bag and remove my coat. Another uniformed maid, someone new, takes them and hangs them up in a closet in the hall.