Intro & Prologue

(Worker is behind the cash register of the video game store again, still wearing headphones.)

(Someone is talking to him, but Worker can't hear them.)

Girl: Hey! Mr. Worker! (He turns. Boy and Girl are there.)

Girl: Are our games ready?

Worker: Oh yeah, I have them right here. (He motions to them.)

Worker: If they still don't work, I'll make sure to save some replacements for you two. Oh, and I'm sorry it took so long for you to get these.

Boy: It's alright. Thanks for your help! (Boy and Girl grab their copies.)

(Boy and Girl leave.)

Girl: Finally! I'm so excited to start playing this! Splatoon is my favorite video game series!

Boy: Yeah, it's one of my favorites, too. (They step outside.)

Girl: I mean, I can't wait to break into its coding and break the physics of the game so I can explore beyond the borders of the world that the game's creators put there so we specifically could stay in one little location! (She grins widely.)

(Boy stares down at her, as if he's weirded out.)

Girl: Uhhh... I like to make online videos that show what's outside the borders of video game worlds. I have to mod the games, though. My friends think it's really weird, but it's interesting to see!

Boy: Oh, that's fine. (She looks awkward and he laughs.)

Boy: I actually like to do the same thing. Break the physics so I can fly around and teleport to places that the game developers never meant people to see. It's neat to see the game from other angles. Of course, I don't do it on online battles, though. I'm not a cheater. (He speaks.)

Girl: Really? I never thought I'd meet another player who's really interested in out-of-bounds stuff! What's your name? (She perks up.)

Boy: I'm Kiyoshi. (He answers.)

(She stares up at him for a minute silently.)

Girl: Kyoshi? Like that lady in Avatar: The Last Airbender?

Boy: No, there's an "i" between the "k" and "y". Kiyoshi. But I can see the confusion. Anyway, what's your name? (They look very casual while talking.)

Girl: I'm Kiku! (She answers.)

(He stares at her.)

(She stares back once again.)

Boy: Cool name.

Girl: Thanks! (They look casual once again.)

(They stand silently for a moment.)

Girl: Well, I'll see you around!

Boy: Yeah, it was nice meeting you. (They go their separate ways.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later...

Girl: Alright, it's finally time to play! (Girl holds her Switch in the room from the second book's intro.)

Boy: This is exciting! I can't wait to start! (He's in his own room, about to start playing.)

Girl: Now this cartridge better work this time... (She puts the cartridge in her Switch.)

Boy: I've waited long enough, I don't want to wait any longer to play! (He also puts in his game.)

(Each game cartridge is put in its place.)