Chapter 1: Eyes On Fire

Being in a 2 week vacation on a cruise ship touring Europe might be considered as a perfect summer vacation.  

Flings, parties and meeting new people. 

It might even be my idea of one. But that possibility instantly went overboard. For a girl like me, that meant no flings, unsupervised walks around the ship and certainly no privacy. Don't get me wrong. It's not like I'm forbidden because I'm sick or something, it's just a thing that my parents considered as good parenting. So yeah, it sucks.

"Dru! Go get some towels!" I sighed. Seriously, what did they do to those towels over there? And why did my mom have to yell when she opened the door and peaked inside of my room? It's not like I'm deaf or something. And in my defense, I'm only wearing one of my earbuds. So she can't use the excuse that my earbuds hinders me to hear. 

"Can't you just call someone and tell them to get some?" 

I turned back to the book I'm currently reading. There has to be a parent patrol thing exsisting. If there is, I'd call it anytime.  

It's summer and they woke me up at six am that's okay if I got some sleep last night but they kept me up late and I slept at 2 am. Then they forced me to take a bath while I'm still trying to open my abused and tired eyes. There are black bags under my eyes but I'm too lazy to buy some concealer to hide them. Can they at least give me this moment to relax and read my book? It's only the first day of the cruise and it's not like they can't tour the ship without me. I can go there myself.  

Besides, this fantasy dystopian thing won't let me put it down. It makes me wonder if they'll get together before this bitchy arcana hooks up with the guy and if the Empress can get away from this psycho.  

My guilty pleasure is reading books.  

A lot.  

I'm not nerdy but there are instances that I act like one. But reading a lot of books does not make a person labeled as a nerd, right? 

I'm also not popular. I'm plain like plain jane. But one thing that's not plain about me is my name. It's originally Drusilla. I don't use it 'cause it sounds villain-y. And my nose is too fat. But other than that, my brown shoulder-length locks, height, eyes and face can be described as plain and ordinary. Next to my friends, I'm invisible. That's how non-descript I am.  

My mom peeked again and I had to force my protests to not burst out from my mouth. My mom is very persistent and there is no one that can derail her. Not that I've seen anybody try to do just that when I'm present. If someone did while I'm there, I'd kiss that dude. No matter what a troll that dude might be. But nonetheless, I still won't get up. Not just yet. 

"What?" I looked innocently at her and I had to supress my giggles when it caused her to scowl so I won't ruin my image.  

She opened the door to my room and pointed outside to the general direction of the elevator. I think. 

"Get them now. I won't ask again." 

I got up because I know I'll regret it if I didn't. But not without letting out a sigh of annoyance. 

No rewards then.  

One thing about parents like mine is that they are very serious about discipline. I know firsthand what would happen and I won't risk a replaying that event. Sometimes you have to know the fine line between fooling around and obedience. 

Gosh, that sounded like it came from a BDSM manual. 

I took my phone and placed it in the pocket of my shorts and slipped on my flip-flops before I walked to the elevator.