RR (3)

Gideon tried to retreat, but his back was already slamming the bookshelf. He tried to stand in an attempt of running away but Wendy caught him by the shirt. He gasped as his feet was forced to lift off the ground, he trembled at her angered death glare.

"Oh, now you're afraid of me?" Wendy asked. "You weren't afraid of sticking your nose where it didn't belong."

"Wendy, put me down," Gideon said in a demanding — but also scared — tone.

Wendy barked a single laugh. "Why should I?" she asked with her angry look back on her face. "Are you scared enough to apologise?"

"I'm sorry," Gideon said, in a low voice. "That I didn't get to expose you before!"

Wendy pulled her arm back and cleansed her fist. Gideon closed his eyes tightly and waited for the punch. After a few seconds of silence, Gideon slowly opened one of his eyes, they widened in surprise at the scene: Robbie, holding Wendy's wrist, shooting her a glare. Wendy was also surprised — to the point her eyes were also wide.

"Let," he said. "Him," his voice got sharper, and more threatening. "Go."

Wendy let go of Gideon. He didn't move, he just looked at Robbie with a surprised look. His heart was beating faster — like it was going to explode — and his eyes had stars in them. Robbie let go of Wendy, still glaring at her.

"Not cool, girl," Tambry said from the back.

Wendy turned around to see Tambry, Thompson, Lee and Nate standing together, not looking so happy. "Really? Picking a fight with a child? That's childish." Thompson said.

Wendy's eyes flickered to Robbie, Gideon, Tambry, Lee, Nate and Thompson. "Are you seriously on this kid's side? After everything we've been through?!"

"We know what you did." Lee said. Wendy's eyes went wide.

"I thought I knew you, Wendy," Nate said. "But you proved that I was wrong."

"I know you are, a rebel and stuff, and I respected you for that," Thompson said. "But I don't respect cheaters."

"Neither assaulters." Tambry added.

Wendy turned her head to Gideon, filled with anger. "This isn't over, you little prick!"

"Oh, yes, it is over." Robbie said.

Robbie was pushed aside by Wendy. Gideon took a step back before Wendy shoved her finger on his face, aggressively pressing his nose. "You think you're so much better than me, don't you?" she asked with a smile — although her tone didn't match her face. "Then prove you're brave, "little Gideon", fight me!"

Gideon knew he would lose a fight like that. But back away in front of the cool teens — in front of Robbie — was the biggest act of cowardliness. Maybe they would understand that this is an unfair fight and it would be foolish to accept. But what if they didn't? No, they would understand. He's eleven, she's fifteen, he can't face her. He opened his mouth to speak when Wendy interrupted by finishing her sentence.

"A music battle, you and me, whatever instrument you want," Wendy said, pulling away her hand. "It's foolish to fist-fight a child, you'd lose." she smiled as she said.

Gideon frowned — although he agreed with her. He took a step forward. "I accept the challenge, Valentino."

"Good."

A thunder sound was heard.

Gideon and the teens around him turned to the window, seeing the sky was very clear. They turned behind, seeing Thompson turning off something on his phone. He gave them a nervous look. "Sorry," he said, apologetically.

Wendy looked back at Gideon. "See you soon, loser." she walked away.

Robbie watched as she made her way to the exit, she noticed it and threw a bit of her jacket back, showing part of her shoulder. Robbie looked away, annoyed — as if he knew what she was doing. Wendy left the library. Robbie sighed and turned to Gideon. "Kid, why did you accept the duel?"

Gideon was nervous — he could start to sweat right there — his eyes flickered away. "Well," he murmured. "I—"

"Do you play any instruments?" Nate asked.

"I actually play the—"

Gideon stopped. Piano seemed like a boring instrument to show off to the cool kids. Luckily he could also play another instrument. "The guitar."

"Really?" Tambry asked. "That's so cool!"

Gideon smiled.

"You mean, an electric guitar or just a guitar?" Thompson asked.

Gideon put a hand behind his head. "Just a guitar," he said. "I never tried to play an electric guitar, but people say they're similar?"

"Yep, they are," Robbie said. "Trust me, personal experience."

"Haha, cool." Gideon said. He looked down at the pile of books that he spilled thanks to Wendy pushing him against the bookshelf. He sighed and picked them up. Tambry approached him and helped. "Thanks."

"No problem." she said with a smile.

Gideon picked up the Sunset of Mackenzie book and showed it to Tambry. "This book is very good," he said. "You should read it."

Tambry smiled and took the book from his hands. "Thank you, Gideon."

"No problem."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Pacifica was cleaning the floor of the gift shop. A customer had accidentally — although she didn't really believe it was an accident — spilled orange soda on the floor after her credit card was denied access. She grunted as she kept running the squeegee on the floor, feeling slight anger towards the customer. Her smile was distorting, looking weird enough to make it clear that she was everything but happy.

The door was opened. Pacifica looked over her shoulder and glanced towards a pair of familiar girls: Tiffany and Alex. She immediately smiled wide, leaving the squeegee on the corner and ran towards them. "Hey girls!"

"Hi Pacifica!" Alex and Tiffany said at the same time very excitedly.

"I'm glad you're here! The duty will be a lot more fun with you helping!" Pacifica said.

"I'm not a fan of cleaning," but I was bored," Tiffany said. "Well, at least I get to help a friend!"

"Soon, we're going to be best friends!" Pacifica stated.

Alex smiled shortly. "I hope so," she said, lowering her voice a bit. "I really think we'd make a cool trio."

"So do I!" Tiffany said.

"We're not making a cool trio," Pacifica said. "We're making the best trio!"

Tiffany laughed and Alex's smile grew. "Now, let's stop wasting time," Pacifica said. "The quicker we finish our tasks, the quicker we can get our tickets and plan the best night ever!" she said while she raised her arms and jumped. The three got closer and hugged each other, jumping in circles and squeaking excitedly.

POFT!

The girls looked behind them, seeing a customer on the wet floor where Pacifica just ran the squeegee. Pacifica's expression immediately changed from excitement to worry and nervousness. She gulped and laughed with nervously. "Eh. . ." she turned to Alex and Tiffany, then shrugged. "Ops?"