six

Turning his monitor on, Nick Fury watched the newscast intently.

A certain agent burst through the door, saying, "Fury, have you heard about the girl that turned invisible in school-"

"Yes Coulson, I'm watching it right now, so sit your ass down."

Coulson did as told, and they both put their attention on the news woman.

"-The commotion caused at Red Oak High School was reported by many students that claimed that one of their peers, turned invisible. You heard right, invisible."

The screen switched to a group of football jersey-clad students, speaking into the microphone.

"Yeah, um- we were just-"

"We were talking to the girl and she flipped out, and then she dissapeared!"

"She turned invisible! It was insane! One second she was sitting there and the next she was gone, but she didn't leave! I had my eyes on her the whole time and-"

Fury waved his hand, swiping the newscast from the air.

"I think we've heard enough, right?"

Coulson smiled slyly.

--

It had been two days since the whole invisibility accident at school, and Beau hadn't gone back since. She didn't know how she could.

She had told her parents about it, and eventually everything. They were shocked and horrified, but Beau insisted that they do nothing. Cecilia's parents had more power than anyone in the shit town, and they could sue a middle class family like Beau's in the blink of an eye. They complied eventually.

It was 10:30am, and Beau was getting ready to go see a movie by herself. She was home alone, and while she was walking around her house looking for her shoes, the doorbell rang.

She was confused at first, wondering who could be at her house this early. She looked through the peep-hole on the front door, and saw a man in a suit. There was a large black car with tinted windows in the driveway.

She opened the door, cautiously peeking out from behind it.

"Yes?"

"Beau Waters?"

She paused.

"...Yes...?"

"My name is Phil Coulson. I'm an agent, from SHIELD."

"SHIELD?"

"Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division."

Beau looked at him blankly.

"We're a counter-terrorism law-enforcement agency. We deal with... superhumans."

Beau's voice was caught in her throat.

"So.. you're here because of the.. invisibility?"

He nodded, smiling. "It'd be easier if you come with me, my boss wants talk to you."

She eyed him, trying to read his face.

"You can trust us. You can come with me, and help us find out how this happened. You'll be surrounded by people like you. Special, extraordinary people with vast potential. You can help save people and use your abilities for the good cause.

Or you can stay here, cooped up until social services comes and forces you to go back to school, where you'll be, and I apologize for being so blunt, horribly bullied. We both know that the kids there will not be nice... They will be horrible to you. You can choose if you want to be invisible for the rest of your life, or if you want to use that to your advantage."

She smiled. "Just a sec," she said, and shut the door abruptly. Getting her shoes and slipping them on, she returned to the door and opened it. She stepped out, closing the door. She followed him to the driveway, and climbed into the car. In the driver and passenger seats there was two men, also in suits. These were wearing dark sunglasses, though, unlike Coulson.

They drove for a while, until they reached a what looked like a college campus because of its numerous buildings. They drove to one, and Agent Coulson motioned for Beau to exit the car. They did, and when they entered, she was astonished.

Beau followed Coulson through the building, and she realized many people were staring at her. But these people weren't looking at her mockingly or pitiful, like her parents did, they were stares of astonishment and curiosity.

She realized Coulson was right.
Maybe she had made the right choice.