The hardships of a firedog.

"FIRE!!!!!" there was that familiar shout. The one that signaled all the calls. All the times when I saved a pet or two, a child or just a trapped adult. It was about a year after poor riles was gone, and he had his picture and name on the wall. Alongside numerous others, it seemed as if he was still here. I don't know why, but Carlos isn't the squad alpha anymore. He still hangs around, but he doesn't go on calls anymore. I think it's because he's to old or something...

Being a dog, it has it's perks. House dogs ESPECIALLY. But I see how they keep their humans attached to them by strange roped they call 'leashes.' they get lots of comfort and warmth and are petted a lot, from what they have told me. But I would never ever be able to live around humans like the ones in their packs. No excitement...no firewalls or training....I just couldn't live with it! But the life of a firedog also has its ups and downs.

For starters, you always risk getting injured on a call. I learned that the hard way. Next, you get SUPER close to your pack. And when one of them don't show up, you notice. You always notice. I also learned that the hard way. Another thing is that it isn't always the same faces every day. These guys have shifts. They have other jobs and other dogs that I always get to play with! And sleeping here has its tolls. Like the creepy way the faucet leaks at night. Or the strange times when you hear the door opening. It's usually a squad member, but not always. One time, this stranger had opened the door to the tv room that I sleep in. I got up and growled when I didn't recognize him, and he ran away, the fear smell coming off in huge waves....

The good parts are that the food is always good! Usually leftovers from breakfast, lunch, or even dinner from the night shifts! There is always space to run around and there is always someone there. When one shift leaves, another takes it's place, giving me new buddies to play with, and as I said before, sometimes their dogs, too! I never slept in a specific place, either. I usually slept in whatever bed or pile of gear that was closest. My main purpose here was to help the guys and guard the station. And love the ones who loved me back.

"FIRE!!!!!! FIRE, COME!!!!!" I was immediately snapped out of my deep thought. I realized I had been standing there for the past five minutes, as a fairly new recruit, mike, was calling me over and over to get in the truck. When I finally came to reality, I bolted towards the truck and jumped in, mike following. I was getting worried looks from the others, and I licked their faces to show I was ok. Meanwhile, the new leader was in the passenger seat. His name was Roy. Roy was a great example for the newbies, and he helped me get over my fears of them by introducing me to them when they came in. The siren pierced my thoughts once again and I was now on the armrest between the seats, scouting out the huge, black cLoud that indicated our destination. Here we go again.~