Pinky Promise

"Spring comes with the first blossom and that first blossom has grown with only love in a barren lawn."

When I wake up, Calysta is still deeply asleep. The crimson lips are slightly parted, just enough to  show off the menacing teeth. Scary bastard. I adjust the hood over my head and carefully hide my long hair under it. I take both swords with me as I leave the cave. What if he tries to fight me when I get back with the water? You're never too cautious

I quickly walk to the stream as my ears imagine sounds. They hear light steps following me. I'm being paranoid. You're never too cautious - my mother enjoyed repeating those words before each one of my fights. When I was 10 I finally understood what they meant. I learnt it at my expense. I take deep breaths as I focus on my surroundings. I listen with my eyes shut. There might be something stalking me. Or someone. I grab ahold of my sword as I continue pacing towards the water source. I lean down to fill the two bottles and I slowly pull out the blade.

"Oh, so you went for water. I thought you wanted to leave me" the well-known voice yells from behind a bush. I jump like a deer caught in the flashlights and scream in terror-filled surprise. Idiot. I leave the sword's handle back into its sheath. My fingers massage the temples as I try to relax my tense body. The adrenaline is tickling my skin. I put the two bottles inside of the bag before I march towards the very tall and mighty alien.

"You scared the shit out of me. I was psychologically preparing myself to fight whatever was following me and likely embrace death if it turned out being one of you" I admit as my whole body trembles and shakes. It's not anger, but fear. Breathe, Orion. "Let's go back, Calysta" I pray quietly. I head towards the cave and his steps follow me not too far behind. He doesn't say anything. We're both lost in our thoughts.

"You can't use that piece of metal against us. The laser swords will cut it in an instant" he explains  after we enter the cave. The seriousness in his voice makes me shiver. Did he catch me taking out my sword? But more importantly, is he trying to help me? 

"Thank you Mr Obvious. Do you perhaps have a solution" I hiss, hugging my knees. I look away from him not knowing how to behave with an alien who seems to worry for me. I wouldn't know what to do even if it was a human, the one who cared. But Calysta is the very extraterrestrial who I stabbed yesterday. What an awkward situation.

"Well, you have my sword now. But if you really want to use that old stick you'll have to cover it with synthetic skin. My clothes are made of it - indeed they were meant to protect against lasers. You can take them when I die and then melt the fabric over your stick. Problem solved" he smirks and I'm sure he's trying to irritate me. 

"It's not a stick. My weapon is a sword, yours is a stick, you dickhead" I argue with a smile of my own. 

"You didn't tell me your name yesterday" he speaks and the melodic voice vibrates against the cold walls. "It's Orion."

"You were named after the constellation of the greek hunter. I've been to what you call Rigel some time ago, it was a bizarre place. I don't suggest it" he tells lively and I finally meet his burning gaze. How can he know so much about the human race whilst I discovered the existence of aliens just yesterday? It's like he'd studied about us. I'm sure he had to learn English to be able to converse with humans. 

"Tell me more. Teach me everything about your species" I state and that's how we spent the next few days. Calysta was a great tutor, he was patient and playful. It was fun learning from him. I laughed at all his absurd jokes and I loved to see him shift uncomfortably at my pick up lines. The man is one hundred percent straight. He trained me every morning and evening as he taught me many forgotten martial arts. Even if I couldn't practice against someone, I became much stronger. My muscles and body felt different. I myself felt different. At lunch and in the afternoon I learnt the common language - something like English for Earth. I wrote, listened and tried to talk. And... I was a disaster.