🪷Chapter 1 🪷

Arabella's pov: 

I woke up to the lovely sound of my mom and dad screaming at each other in the kitchen. Which really is nothing new, but I mean come on. I knew today, I wouldn't be eating any breakfast and I would be lucky if I had any money left on my lunch account. As silently as I could, I slipped into the bathroom. If I got caught using my ghost powers one more time, my parents said they'd kick me out, and I just can't risk it. I brushed my hair and teeth, then put on deodorant, but just to smell nice, I sprayed some lavender body spray on me too. My friend, Lily, bought it for me. 

I changed into this:

And then I left without saying anything to my parents

Luckily, my school, Midtown High School, wasn't far away so I just walked, trying to enjoy the morning breeze and the fact that my parents didn't hit me this morning. Finally, I arrived at the school and saw Lily and Jaxson waited for me outside. "Ari!!" Lily screamed from the doorway, causing people to look at us.

"Hey guys." I couldn't breathe from running up to them. "Nice ring." Jaxson winked. He was the one who bought it for me for my birthday last year. I blushed and said thanks. I have a mini gigantic crush on him. I mean, how could I not? Look at him:

 I mean, how could I not? Look at him:

That is an attractive boy right there. That sounds awful out of context. 

We walked to our class and the first thing we all noticed is that there was a substitute teacher, which means we could sit wherever we wanted. It was up to Flash to hide the seating chart, even though he's kind of a jerk sometimes, he was the only one ballsy enough to steal the seating chart before the sub could see it. I can't remember where I've seen this particular sub, but he looks so damn familiar it was so annoying. I sat down and just kind of studied him for a minute. He had brown hair and a pair of glasses tucked in his purple shirt. 

He looked kind of nerdy, but the thing I've learned is that the nerdier looking they are, the better science teacher they are. This is all coming from experiences, including my current science teacher, who I'm honestly kind of glad isn't here now. I want a chill first period class. 

When everyone was in the classroom, the man started talking. "Okay, so as you've noticed, your teacher isn't here today. Some teachers have to do a special training-" Suddenly he was interrupted by Peter Parker, who was late. "Bruce! Why are you here?" He asked. Bruce Banner! That's where I knew this guy from! I've read his books before. 

"Peter, I drove you here an hour ago. How are you still late?" He asked with a smile. Peter just shrugged. 

Peter Parker is cool, but for some reason, I always thought he didn't like me. We both like the same things, but he just kind of seems to have his own group that I think only needs three people in it. I have my own group just like that. It's a bummer though, he seems like a cool guy. 

"Okay, before I introduce myself, let me take attendance." I mentally groaned. My last name isn't hard to pronounce, but for some reason teachers either get it wrong, or get it right then act all "Am I saying that right? Those names are always hard to pronounce!" And it's SO annoying. Finally, he got to me. "Arabella Saetang?" I raised my hand and waited for some sort of question or something. Thankfully he just nodded and moved on to the next kid. I like this sub. 

"Okay, I am here because of something very special. As you may know, I work very close with Tony Stark, and recently, he has chosen to have a few students work as his personal interns. He is looking for someone who knows their way around the lab, and can get work done fast. So, I have a test he wants you all to take, and he will use this as a reference when he hires an intern. So this means that one of you could be working with Tony Stark by next week." The classroom erupted with noise. I needed the money, and it could be fun, so why not? 

The first part of the test wasn't really a test and more just contact information. My address, my email, and some other information like birth date, gender, and name. I was tempted to leave the medical questions empty. Having ADHD could possibly ruin this chance for me. The difficult part of the test came next. The questions weren't that hard, but was my hand writing readable? Did I show my work? Did I make sense? What if someone else is more right than I am? I hate this.

Finally, I finished and shakily set the test down on the teacher's desk before asking to go to the bathroom. Luckily he said yes. 

When I got into a stall, I opened up my notes app and found the number Lily gave me. She got a new phone last week and I didn't have a chance to text he new number until now. 

Ari: Lily 

Ari: Lily I know you know it's me and I'm freaking out rn 

???: Who is this?

Ari: Haha :/

Ari: I'm serious pls meet me in the bathroom closest to the science room. 

???: I'm serious too, this isn't Lily. You must've typed in the number wrong. 

Ari: Well then. Hi stranger.

???: Didn't your parents tell you not to text random numbers?

Ari: Not exactly...

???: Well don't do it. Are you even supposed to have your phone out in school?

Ari: I'm in high school so yeah, and I'm in the bathroom.

???: Why are you freaking out?

Ari: Just took a test and I'm nervous about my score. Nothing huge. 

???: What's your best subject?

Ari: Science. It was a science test too.

???: Well what was it about?

Ari: Do you know Tony Stark?

???: Tony Stark? Yes. 

Ari: It was for an internship at his business. I think I did good, but when you compare my score with the rest of the school's, how good is it really, if that makes sense.

???: No, it makes perfect sense. Kid, if you have anxiety, you should talk to someone. 

Ari: I don't tho

???: Okay, but if you think you do, talk to someone, even if it's just a school counselor. 

Ari: Okay thanks.

???: Ok I have a meeting to get back to, pls stay safe and good luck on that test!

I didn't reply. Tests mentally drain me. 

Tony Starks's pov:

I was in another boring meeting, talking about whatever it was this time, when my phone buzzed. Some kid looking for their friend. I responded by telling them I wasn't the right person, but they didn't believe me. I was about to turn my phone off when I reread the first text. Sounds like they need help, and I was a very bored avenger right now. We had a tiny talk about what was happening, and it seemed normal, until I saw my name pop up in their text. They had taken my internship test. This was good, because I could use this to see if they were actually the right fit. Perfect!