CHAPTER 7

IT WAS already nighttime when we were able to get back from Batangas. We just exited SLEX. Aside from serving us more food than we would normally eat, Lola Celia and Lolo Martin also gave us several bags of pasalubong for our families.

"I'll drop you guys off at your homes," Lorenzo said from the driver's seat. All five of us were in the same seating arrangement as yesterday.

"No need for me, I can just commute from Elina's dorm," I protested.

"Cindy, it's already nine PM. It's not safe for you to commute."

"I just don't want to impose or anything. I know you must be tired from driving."

"Don't worry about me. Besides, I'll just worry about you." Our eyes met in the rear-view mirror. His eyes communicated his sincerity over what he said.

"Thank you," I said. I actually am more than grateful that I didn't have to grab a jeep back to my house. It also made me feel that he's serious in pursuing me.

Plus points to Lorenzo!

I could feel several pairs of eyes looking at me. I looked at Nicko and Elina who share the back seat with me. Their eyes and smirk wordlessly teased me.

Kally, on the other hand, was just looking at me with an expressionless face. Before I can contemplate on what she could possibly be thinking, I heard my message alert tone.

Nicko: WHAT WAS THAT SCENE WITH LORENZO ABOUT?! ;)

Elina's text was less intense than Nicko's.

Elina: Updates on you and Lorenzo? :)

I sent both of them the same reply. Will tell later!

The two of them surreptitiously checked their phones. Seemingly satisfied with my answer for now, Nicko decided to go back to the matter of going home.

"Lorenzo," Nicko called. "Is it okay if you drop me off after Elina? My house is closer to her."

"Yeah, sure. Then Cindy's house is next."

"What about you, Kally? Do you live near Lorenzo?" Nicko asked.

"Yup! We live in the same subdivision," Kally answered.

Half an hour later, we arrived at Elina's dorm. "Thank you so much, guys! You made my grandparents really happy," she said as she got all her bags down from the car. "Lorenzo, drive safe, okay?"

Nicko's house was less than fifteen minutes away. "Bye-bye, group mates! See you at school!" Before he closed the door, he said to me, "Baby girl, text me once you get home, okay?"

I nodded and waved goodbye at him.

"How do we go to your house, Cindy?" Lorenzo asked once Nicko was gone.

I gave him the directions.

"Okay, got it."

"Given that there's no traffic, we'd probably be there within thirty minutes."

He nodded as he looked at his side mirror before making a turn.

Now that there were only the three of us, I can feel an unidentifiable tension in the car. I couldn't pinpoint the reason why exactly but it's definitely there.

We spent the rest of the trip in silence.

"Just turn right on this street," I said as we neared our house.