CHAPTER 11

Upbeat love songs were playing in the overhead speakers in the cafeteria. I quietly hummed to myself as Ed Sheeran's Thinking Out Loud played.

"This Valentine's ball in December causes quite the stir, huh?" I observed. Around us, there were many posters about the upcoming event. The Christmas ornaments in the cafeteria were tastefully combined with hearts-themed decorations.

"We're really happy that it gets this much attention," Elina said. "The team was quite worried that this Christmas gig might fail, given that it's the first time we're doing it."

"I think this will be a huge success," Nicko praised. "By the way, who are you going with in the ball?"

"I'll be there as part of the organizing committee, so I'll be going alone," Elina replied.

"You're no fun!" Nicko pointed an accusing finger at her. "What about you, baby girl? You're attending this ball, right?"

"I have to check with my stepmother, you know how she is with these kinds of things," I fudged. Right now, I was just glad that I didn't get into more trouble when I left the catering job for Lorenzo's tournament. Not that I'm regretting any part of that decision. When I arrived home that night, Aunt Merida just ignored me as if nothing happened. Nana Tessa did really took care of it, just how she did it I had no idea.

"Besides Lorenzo hasn't mentioned anything about it so I'm not sure if he wants to go," I continued. We may be in the courtship stage but I didn't want to assume that he has plans of inviting me as his date.

"I'm pretty sure he'll invite you," Elina grinned widely as she pointed to a guy dressed in Cupid's costume approaching our table. As part of the promotions for the Valentine's in December Ball, many Cupid-wearing students go around campus delivering all sorts of gifts and messages.

"A Valentine's message for Cinderella Marie Dizon," he announced.

"That's me," I said, raising my hand slightly.

Cupid guy handed me a scroll and bowed slightly before leaving.

"What's it say? What's it say?" Nicko said, jumping up and down his seat.

I carefully removed the heart-shaped sticker holding the parchment paper. It was just a short message. I read it out loud.

Princess, please meet me at the university gardens. I'm waiting for you. -Lorenzo

"What are you waiting for? Let's go!" Elina stood up and pulled at my hand.

We half-ran and half-walked out of the cafeteria. There were many students around since it was lunch time.

When we reached the gardens, there was a thong of students crowding in the center. I heard some of them whispering, "She's here! She's here!"

Two girls started playing the violin. The melody hushed the murmurings of the students as they parted on two sides.

Two rows of guys (they're from Lorenzos' track and field team if I'm not mistaken) formed on both sides, making a pathway. Each of them was holding a long-stemmed red rose. I couldn't see the end of the path since it curved to the left.

The first guys smiled at me and handed me the flowers. "For me?" I squeaked shyly, still not quite believing that this is happening. They nodded and gestured for me to walk forward.

Twenty-four roses in hand later, I reached the end and there was Lorenzo standing handsomely like a prince. Quite literally. He was wearing a long-sleeved white shirt with a red sash across his body. He completed the ensemble by draping a red cape on his shoulder. A paper crown was even atop his head.