Chapter 8

(Time skip)

Rex

"Rex we're here. It will be getting dark soon so you should get up and go check into the villa. Then you can get them to send someone to bring your bags up to your room." I awoke to Kenwyn's voice and I adjusted my head to look ahead but felt sort of disoriented. The back of my head was in pain. It wasn't a headache but it felt like someone had hit me with something heavy.

Bobo then came near me to where I was still seated and put his hand on my shoulder."You don't want to sleep out all of your vacation time, diplomat. So how about we race to a good room to get the blood circulating." 

"Assuming they let monkeys inside here. I don't think I have anything to worry about." I managed a smirk and replied.

But Bobo retained his smug smile as he picked up his bag holding both handles and started to exit the jet saying, "Kid reads one chapter of an actual book other than comics and he thinks the world of himself."

What book? I don't remember reading anything. Was he just messing with me? All these questions flooded my mind but then Kenwyn handed me an ice pack causing me to look up at her. "I couldn't give it to you before as I was flying the plane but it didn't seem like it was needed at the time. You should probably meet me at the entrance in the morning if it still hurts. We can go to one of the local doctors to get it checked out."

I took it and rested it against the back of my head which eased the pain."Kenwyn, what happened? Did I fall asleep and fall cause my head really hurts."

She looked at me straight in my eyes then looked away before coolly replying, "We encountered some unforeseen turbulences and you were leaning back on your chair at the time. I assume that the sudden shake of the jet startled you enough to lose your grip on a book I let you borrow. It was of considerable mass so as you threw it up and sat in the upright position when it came back down from above it hit you. You didn't get back up after that but you were still breathing so I didn't see the need to wake you."

I couldn't believe what she saying to me and all with a straight face. It sounded like something that happened out of a slapstick comedy. "Are you telling me that I was knocked out by a book? What was I even doing with a book that size?" I asked just to make sure I heard it right.

She looked at me and said, "You wanted something that could put you to sleep so the time would run by faster. In an unexpected way, it did its job."  She really was beginning to sound like Six. 

"I have taken your bags out of the jump jet's carrier already so they can be easily found by the luggage custodian. I will watch it until they come, but in the meantime, you should seek to catch up with Bobo before you report back to HQ. You shouldn't let him stray too far out of your sight."  She continued by changing the subject.

Boy, this vacation is doing everything in its power to make sure that I regret it. I've never gotten a book-induced concussion before. Well granted it was the first time that I ever tried to read one that thick but I shouldn't dwell on that now. I'm just glad Bobo doesn't seem to know about it or he'll never let me live it down either. I took a deep breath before replying to her."Don't worry about Bobo, he may not look it but he can take care of himself in whatever bind he gets into."

"I am aware, but I caution it because even though he is a chimp he is still a type of monkey. And they can be considered a delicacy here. Also, the cook of this villa is particularly fond of them. So keep an eye on him."

When she said that I jumped out of my seat but was pulled to sit back down. I forgot to take off the seatbelt. I put the ice pack down on the dashboard and struggled to unbuckle the seatbelt. Kenwyn saw this and touched the button on the seatbelt to release me.

I hurriedly yelled out a thank you as I grabbed my bag to get out of the jet. I ran down the lane that led past a lot of other villas. After some distance, I stopped in what looked like the back way of a more building-like structure. Where is he? While I was busily looking left and right a guy appeared right in front of me and started talking.

"HEY! You're Rex. Like him- which is you."

Oh no, I don't have time for any fans right now. "Yeah it's me, I don't have time to sign any autographs right now."

I was trying to move past the guy but he still got in my way by blocking me. He still isn't getting the point that now wasn't a good time. "Are you on a mission or something? Where's your monkey I see you with sometimes?"

"Good question, I'm looking for him now actually," I replied. 

"Well, you might want to keep him close to you around here. If you want to make an announcement you can go to the front desk in the building." His responded

"Oh ok, thanks um guy." I may have to get his name later but I'm in too much of a rush now.

I ran into the building he pointed to and I think he waved me off saying, "No problem dude! Say Hi to Caesar for me if you can!"

Caesar? How did he know my brother? Was that guy the one my brother said to look for? I thought as I got to the front desk where a woman who looked like she could be in her late fifties was sorting through a rather small box. She had a dark complexion similar to Kenwyn but she wore circular framed reading glasses over her brown eyes. She still looked like she worked here as she wore a purple formal dress suit. It had a name tag on it but I didn't have time to think about reading it. I immediately started talking to her getting straight to the point. I hoped she could understand me as I sort of felt like I was rambling a little too quickly."Um, miss, my friend, Bobo, who's a monkey- well a chimp is missing and I want to make an announcement."

The lady held up her finger signaling for one moment. Then she found what looked like a hearing aid and put it in her ears. She seemed to turn it on and then responded with the lightest voice that I'd ever heard. The way she spoke could be mistaken as if she was slightly singing softly. "OK calm down Sir. Take a moment to breathe now what is your name?"

"Rex Salazar" I replied leading the lady to smile.

"Yes, we've been expecting you and would you like to check in now?" she continued.

"Um well not yet, you see my monkey, uh chimp he's missing. I want to make an announcement." I told her and she nodded taking out a microphone.

She proceeded to set it up and asked me, "Can you please give a description and the name of your chimp."

As I was going to answer I heard a loud crashing sound from outside followed by a woman screaming. "Ahhhh Killer monkey!!!"