Chapter One

Squirrelpaw was chasing a mouse through the ferns and felt her pelt brushing with her sister's pelt, Cedarpaw, as she ran along side Cedarpaw matching her sister's stride step for step. Squirrelpaw pinned down the mouse with one paw and Cedarpaw gave a quick, strong bite to the back of the mouse's neck.

"Yeah! Fresh-kill!' mewed Squirrelpaw excitedly.

"Can you at least be a little quieter", teased Cedarpaw, "You're 'gonna scare all they prey away if you keep on screeching like that."

"Oh ya! Well, if you want me to shut up you'll have to catch me first!", Squirrelpaw's whiskers twitched mischievously as she darted away.

Squirrelpaw headed for the border near the big corn field and darted around a bramble bush. Squirrelpaw was going to her favorite hiding spot in the big oak tree hanging over the field. Whenever she and Cedarpaw played a game, Cedarpaw would never find her.

Suddenly, Squirrelpaw heard a strange rustling behind her. Squirrelpaw expected a fox or badger to come running out, but instead she realized that her sister was running after her. Cedarpaw was gaining on her now and soon enough Squirrelpaw could feel her denmate's hot breath against her paw's.

Squirrelpaw and Cedarpaw had nearly crossed the border between ThunderClan and ShadowClan, when a huge gray cat came out of nowhere and barred their path.

Who was it? What did they want?

                             *                            *                            *