The arrival

Y/n sat atop her hut to watch the boats come in, Astrid perched next to her.

Astrid's parents were both killed by dragons when she was a baby, so Y/n's parents had taken her in, and they had been practically inseparable ever since.

The girls had brought a bowl of blueberries with them. Astrid popped one in her mouth.

"Hey look there they are!" she called the boats were just small dots on the horizon but there was definitely the same amount as when they had left so that was a good sign. When the boats got a little closer, they slid off the roof and began to hurry down to the docks. When they arrived, they were surprised to see that Hiccup had not come down to greet his father.

They waited in anticipation as the Vikings unloaded. Finally, they saw the long blond beard that marked Y/n's dad.

"Hey girls! It's wonderful to see you!" He said while he ruffled their hair. He pulled two bags off his belt and handed them to the girls.

"Dad! Did you find it?" exclaimed Y/n. He shook his head.

"Maybe next time kiddo, Astrid how's your training going?"

"good" she replied. He sighed

"I have some news; Alvin has personally asked me to study a new kind of dragon that was found on Outcast Island. I leave today and will be gone for a month maybe more. Will you girls be okay without me?"

They both nodded. He kissed their foreheads and turned around to face the boat he had just exited. Y/n and Astrid waved him goodbye as he sailed away.