A flight by starlight

That afternoon Y/n decided to follow Hiccup she wanted to know how he had gotten so good and why he hadn't let Astrid win. She also found that she enjoyed being near him.

He was in his workshop for a long time after the match. When he finally left, he was carrying a large basket and had what seemed like a holster around his chest that formed an X shape across his body.

Y/n followed him all the way down through the forest and into a small crevice that had a small lake and was littered with rocks.

"Leaving we are leaving. Looks like you and me are taking a little vacation forever..."

Y/n was crouching behind a rock so she couldn't see who he was talking to, she decided she wanted answers, now. She silently sprung up onto the rock. Hiccup turned around.

"Aggh! Wah-What are you doing here?" Y/n sprung off the rock, landing right in front of him, so close she could feel his breath, she supressed a shiver.

"What have you been doing! Have you been training with someone and what in Valhalla is this." She flicked the thing strapped to his chest. She couldn't help but notice he smelled like pine and leather; it was quite pleasant.

"Ahh yes you got me I've been making outfits! It's time everyone knew so drag me back go ahead." He grabbed her hand and placed it in his chest, she could feel his heartbeat through his rough tunic. She felt her face get warm and pulled her hand away quickly.

"No-what, I just." The words tumbled helplessly from her mouth. That's when she heard the growl, it was unlike anything she had ever heard before. She shoved Hiccup to the ground and landed on top of him for the third time in like a week. She sprung up as fast as she could, Ignoring the butterflies in her stomach. A Nightfury, in person!

A hand grabbed the hilt of her sword, and it was thrown to the ground.

"Hiccup?" He smiled at her. Y/n meet Toothless, Toothless, Y/n. Y/n stumbled backward. What was happening right now? Was that dragon wearing a saddle? She grabbed her sword and started running.

She felt claws grip her back and saw the ground fall away from her feet. There was only one thing to do. She screamed

"AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" The dragon dropped her lightly onto a branch.

"Hiccup what on- "

"Here just let me explain."

But Y/n was not listening.

"Hiccup I don't care just get me down." He reached out a hand.

"Just let me show you, he's really not that bad." Y/n took it and let Hiccup guide her into the saddle just behind where he was sitting. She was shaking, she tried to stop. No fear.

"Toothless, down slowly." The dragon growled again and shot up up up, into the sky. Y/n could feel herself falling. She wrapped her legs around Hiccups waist.

"WOAH TOOTHLESS WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU! BAD DRAGON! He's not usually like this. Oh....no Toothless we need her to Like us. And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing you useless reptile." The wind was hitting Y/n like needles all over her body.

"Hiccup please make it stop I'll do anything!" The dragon opened its wings and the feeling of organs dropping ceased.

They were surrounded by pink and orange clouds. Y/n shivered. It was beautiful, more that she could ever have imagined. She wrapped her arms around Hiccup.

"I'm sorry, it's beautiful. Thank you Hiccup." She could see the corners of his mouth twitch up.

"But I do have one question."

"Shoot."

"Earlier when I found you where you going to leave, forever, without even saying goodbye?" Hiccup looked guilty.

"Yeah, Look Y/n I can't kill a dragon there is no way I can stay." A realization hit Y/n.

"Train it!" Hiccup looked confused.

"What?"

"Train it, just like you did with Toothless!"

"Yeah, I thin-"

"Duck." Y/n cried. Both leant forward. Dragons had begun to swarm around them, all carrying some form of livestock. Toothless followed the other dragons into a volcano. He landed behind a rock pillar All the other dragons dropped their kills into the depths of the mountain.

"Great to know all our food is being dumped in a hole." A Gronkle hovered over the hole and dropped a single fish. Suddenly the biggest dragon Y/n had ever seen emerged from the pit and snapped up the Gronkle in its jaws. Hiccup gave Toothless a pat.

"Come on bud let's get out of here. NOW!" The Nightfury sprung into the air and headed for the exit, the gigantic dragon was right on their tales, its mouth open wide.

"Toothless, faster!" Y/n could feel the heat from the dragon consuming them, along with the smell of rotting meat. It made her want to throw up.

As they burst out the top of the volcano the huge dragon fell away, back into its domain. The rest of the flight home was filled with silence. Y/n could feel that Hiccup was now shaking just as bad as she was. When they finally reached the valley Y/n was scared to get off Toothless, she was worried she might pass out and that would be embarrassing. She finally slid off and very slowly walked over to a rock and leaned on it.

"We cannot tell your father, he will..." She made the gesture of a head being cut off and pointed to Toothless.

"I know, and after seeing that I can't leave either. But you are right I could try to train the dragon and show everyone that they are not bad, just..."

"Misunderstood?"

"Exactly." Hiccup was beginning to smile.

"Yeah, this could work, hey, Y/n, do you know what type of dragon there going to have me fight?" Y/n shook her head.

"I think it might be a new kind of dragon, I have seen it through the gaps in its cage. It's like a Nadder, I think, Sharp class. Its scales are silver, like armour.

Hiccup nodded slowly.

"It doesn't matter I can still train it and convince my father."

Y/n pushed herself off the rock and walked toward Hiccup. She punched him in the shoulder.

"Wha-why would you do that?"

"That's for kidnapping me." She said. Then she grabbed his harness and pulled herself toward him, when her lips touched the soft skin of his cheek jolts shot from her head to her toes.

"And that's for everything else." She began to walk away but couldn't help turning to see Hiccup's tomato coloured face and sheepish grin.