CHAPTER EIGHT: ONE BY ONE....

I looked hopelessly at the approaching hoard, then fiercely over at River.

Zaiden: You get Chenaya, I'll get Mahala.

She nodded and ran over to Chenaya, putting her arm around her shoulder. I did the same with Mahala and we hurried out. While the zombies can sprint they're still not very fast, and it seems they can get tired, just takes more to make them tired.

We entered the town and were greeted by a horrific surprise. There were some zombies lying in wait here. We quickly ran for the nearest car and jumped in. River tried to get Chenaya into the drivers seat but she clearly was in too much pain to drive so she told River to drive.

Zaiden: Hurry Chenaya!

Mahala: No.....

It's almost as if she knew what was going to happen. I zombie jumped from a building above us, landing on Chenaya's back. River screamed and tried to open her door. I reached across Hala and grabbed her shoulder.

Zaiden: River. No.

River: But Chenaya...

Zaiden: She's lost for now. We need you alive so we can save her.

I jumped into the backseat and River reluctantly started driving us out of there. The zombies gave chase but couldn't catch up. Literally everyone in the car was in tears as we exited the town, hoping that we would be able to save Chenaya.

About half an hour later River stopped the car and got out.

Zaiden: Why did we stop.

Mahala: We need to talk.

Mahala and River were both out of the car now so I followed.

River: We can't go on like this. I don't even know if there is a cure in New Zealand.

Mahala: We should just end ourselves now.

Zaiden: Don't you get it? We don't know if there is a cure but there is a possibility. We need to take that risk. There is no reward for dying now. We need to fight for their, and our freedoms.

Mahala: We don't need to do shit. I just want to be with Izzy, whether we're zombies or not.

Zaiden: Get in the fucking car right now.

Mahala: Make me.

I had no idea how to respond to that. Clearly she wasn't going to give in and we were running out of time. The hoard would be here soon. I sat down on the road hopelessly. I couldn't just leave them here. But I couldn't just let us die either.