CHAPTER ELEVEN: TILL ONE REMAINS

Hitting the water hurt. I swear I dislocated something but I ignored the pain and scrambled to the surface just in time to see Mahala hit the water. She came back up moments later, gasping for breath and staring back up where River was.

Mahala: River....

Zaiden: Come on, before they jump in after us.

Mahala: Ok...

She said that so faintly I barely heard her. I could see the zombies weren't diving in after us. They were moving towards the harbor. Shit that's bad. We started to swim towards the shore. We reached a long jetty that stretched along half the river. I pulled myself up and started to help Hala onto the jetty.

Mahala: Ugh. Nearly died there.

She turned around, then seemed to just realize that there was no one behind her. River was gone. She stood there with a sad expression for ten seconds, then turned around and said,

Mahala: Let's get a boat.

Zaiden: Alright.

We ran along the jetty into the harbor.

Zaiden: All the boats here are shit!

One had no fuel, the other had a hole in it and was being held up by the rope, one was floating too far away as the rope was broken.

Mahala: What the actual fuck.

Zaiden: This is bad.

Mahala: Everything is bad.

Zaiden: No look.

The zombie hoard was marching down into the harbor, however they all stopped about halfway across the jetty.

Zaiden: Shit we need to find a boat now.

Mahala didn't reply. She stared at the zombies and I soon saw why. Three zombies were walking up the jetty. Fuck.

Zaiden: Found one!

This boat had full fuel, no holes and could carry two people. Perfect. Mahala still didn't move. The three zombies came close enough that I could see their faces. Oh my god.

Zaiden: River. Chenaya. Izzy.

Mahala started to walk towards them. I grabbed her wrist to stop her and she turned around, her eyes filled with tears. I hesitated, letting go of her wrist. I watched as she walked towards the three zombies, as she embraced Chenaya, and as she was zombified.

I stood there for a couple seconds, frozen. I didn't know what I should do. I quickly made up my mind, turned around and fled to the boat. The keys were in the ignition. Perfect. There was also a rifle on board. I have no idea why it was there but I picked it up and strapped it on using the black strap on its side.

I started up the boat and it started to move away from the jetty. I watched as the zombies tried to give chase, diving into the ocean. I soon realized how they got to Australia. They could breath underwater. They just walk slowly along the bottom of the seafloor. Soon, only one person remained on the jetty. It was Mahala.

She was staring at me, almost zombified. She suddenly jolted and sprang into the water to join the hoard. I turned around, tears in my eyes, and drove the boar out of the Harbor, and out of Australia.

That's it for this book people. Should I write Book 3 or start on Book 2 in the Hope path?