Ch.8 Alone Together

3rd Pov

Cyra let out an exhausted sigh as she went to prepare for the day. She was on her way outside the training room when she noticed Yang tailing behind her.

Yang: "You're up early."

Cyra: "Yeah, I've been getting that a lot lately. Can't get much sleep these days...."

Cyra opened the door leading outside the training room and found Ruby lying on the ground on the patio outside of the training room. She watches a group of four birds flying together, before one of them flies away from the group. As she watches it fly, Ruby sees her half-sister, Yang, peek over her head.

Yang: "You're up early."

Ruby: "Hey sis."

Yang: "Boop."

Yang lets her hair down and uses it to tickle her little sister's nose. Ruby giggles affectionately at her older sister's action. Ruby then sits up as Yang sits down next to her, while I sat down next to Yang.

Ruby: "So, what are you guys doing up?"

Yang: "Can't fall back to sleep."

Ruby: "Ah, me neither."

Weiss: "Well, fortunately, coffee exists."

Weiss carries a tray with three cups of coffee and walks over to join her teammates, with Raiden sipping his own coffee and Josh sipping his own Juice. Raiden hands Cyra her a fruit tea as Weiss lowers the tray down so Yang can grab a cup.

Ruby: "No, please!"

Weiss: "Don't worry, I put in blasphemous amounts of cream and sugar, just for you."

She then holds the cup out in front of Ruby.

Ruby: "Oh yeah! Nice Weiss strikes again!"

Suddenly, Weiss pulls the cup away just as Ruby was about to grab it.

Weiss: "I will pour this on you and it will burn."

She hands the cup to Ruby, who nervously giggles at her. After giving Ruby her coffee, Weiss sits down next to her teammates and grabs her cup of coffee after placing the tray down next to her.

Yang: "Can't believe we're actually in Mistral."

Ruby: "That's what you can't believe?"

Josh: "I'm gonna have to agree with your sister on this one, Yang. But really?"

Yang: "Well, yeah! And all the other magic and stuff. But... Okay, you know what I mean!"

Weiss: "I honestly wasn't sure if I'd ever see you any of you again."

Yang: "Well, here's to defying expectations."

Cyra: "Cheers to that."

Cyra, Raiden, and Josh raised their cups, while Yang and Weiss clinked cups together, with Ruby gulping her cup down in one go, opening one eye to glance at the others' cups.

Ruby: "I just wish Blake and Brisa could be here with us."

Raiden immediately stop drinking from his coffee when Brisa's name came up. Cyra notices this and calls him out of it.

Cyra: "Hey, you okay, Rai?"

Raiden: "H-Huh? Y-Yeah, I'm fine. I just... I just remembered I had something to do. I'll see you guys later."

Cyra was able to notice the sombre tone from Raiden's words as he got up and walked away. Weiss stared up at Raiden in worry as she watches him enter the training room and disappear from sight.