Chapter 18

Every minute that passes scrapes onto me like sandpaper. I just feel like someone who just realized that they accidentally drank poison. Nervous, that's what I feel.

"Tris." I hear my name being called. Here goes nothing.

~TIME LAPSE TO AFTER THE FEAR LANDSCAPE~

That wasn't the most pleasant experience I've had. But one thing was surprising in a good way. I only had 6 fears.(Tris doesn't fear intimacy.) That's just 2 more fears than Tobias. How can it be? Have I become truly Dauntless? Have I become good enough to fit in with these people? I don't know. When I'm out of the doors of the simulation room-or should I call it hell hole?-, I see Tobias standing there, smiling at me.

"I heard a rumor that you had only 6 fears to face, totally unheard of." He says when I'm close.

"6 is not as good as 4, but it'll suffice." I say.

"I'd be surprised if you weren't ranked first." He says. I turn towards the dorms when Tobias pulls me back.

"Well we still have 2 hours to spare and I thought we might spend it together in my apartment." He says."We rarely get time like this."

I nod and follow him.

~~~~~

He slips of his shoes by the door and opens his apartment.

"So I wanted to talk more about you and your family." He says.

"Well, I have 2 the most loveliest parents in the world and you should know that I'm not their only child." I say.

"You're not?" He asks.

"Nope, have a giant nerd for a brother. I bet you if he came here, he'll fit perfectly into Erudite." I say, scoffing. "Don't get me wrong, I love him but sometimes he's just so irritating."

He laughs."Your life is extraordinary, at least, compared to mine."

"Don't say that. I know it's been bad but it makes you unique in a way." I say. He nods.

"The Bureau is more of all the factions mixed together. There are all kinds of people there." I say.

"So after the rankings, you're meeting me at the train tracks and we'll escape and never come back." He says. I nod and think of Christina and all my friends I've made. I'll really miss them. Then, I realize that I forgot David, again.

"Tobias, I forgot to inform the Bureau's leader David, about you." I say.

"You can do it now." He says. "I wanna watch."

I nod and take out the pen/transmitter. Good thing I always keep it with me. I press a few buttons and David comes in line.

"Hello there, Tris! David here, How's everything?" He asks.

"Tris here, sir! And guess what, sir?" I say excitedly.

"I'm listening." He says.

"Mission success, I found him! In fact, he's sitting here right next to me, sir." I squeal. Tobias chuckles. I give the transmitter to Tobias and instruct him on how to hold it and talk.

"Well, Hi!, Tobias Eaton here." He says.

"Ah, yes, Mr Eaton. We're expecting your arrival. I'd like to know one thing. Would you be staying or going back after coming here? Either is okay with me." David asks.

"I'd be staying there. I never wish to come back to this place." Tobias replies.

"Very well, Then, I'm pleased to announce that we have an addition of members to the Bureau. That'll be you, Tobias." David says."I'll make the necessary arrangements for you." Tobias passes the transmitter back to me.

"Okay, sir. The next time, we'll be seeing each other in person." I say. I turn the transmitter off.

"Wow, a transmitter in the form of a pen? Cool!" Tobias says.

"Then you can have it. I won't need this anymore. Unless David wishes to take it back." I say, throwing it to him. He catches it and examines it carefully, like a child who just received a new toy. It's kinda cute. I'd just have to wait for the time to leave here now.