Chapter 19

I watch Tobias as we walk to the cafeteria. He seems really jumpy and excited. I've no idea why he's so ready to leave this place. At least he's out of Abnegation, but why would he want to leave here after coming to Dauntless.

"Why're you looking at me like that, Tris?" Tobias asks. I'd been staring at him for too long.

"Well, I just don't understand why're you so excited to leave here. You're out of Abnegation. But why'd you wanna leave Dauntless?" I ask.

"Even after I was out of Abnegation, he continued to haunt me. Memories of him still linger. That's why I even refuse leadership, then I'd have to see him every year in the Faction Meetings. So I see this as a nice chance to go settle down in a place where there'll be no memories of him, where he can never find me. And of course, where you are." He says. "But won't they suspect after we go missing?"

"Do I look like I care?" I ask. Honestly, I don't care.

He laughs."Definitely not." says Tobias.

"I'm more concerned about my friends though. I'll really miss them." I say.

"You will, won't you? Especially that Candor smart mouth?" He says, grinning.

"Shut up, Tobias! She has a very beautiful name. Which is Christina." I say and slap his arm."She even has a boyfriend."

"And who might that be?" He asks, still grinning.

"Will." I say.

"That Candor smart mouth and that Erudite know-it-all? Together?" He asks, laughing.

"Tobias!" I yell, glaring at him."Stop teasing my friends!"

"Okay, relax Tris." He says, still laughing. But all I am is frustrated. I huff and storm up to the cafeteria. I can hear him calling my name and his sound of his footsteps behind me but I don't care. I go to the table my friends are seated and sit down. A microphone squeals somewhere. So loud that I clap my hands over my ears. Eric takes the stage and says something that I zone out of. They he says:

"The rankings will appear on the screen behind me."

I see my name on the first slot. A weight is lifted of me. Will and Christina came in 6th and 7th respectively. Christina and Will share a kiss, a little too sloppily for my taste. They pull away and pull me into a bone-crushing hug.

"We made it." Christina says. I nod. They pull away from me and someone grabs my shoulders. I turn around to see...the one and only URIAH!!!!!! I met him around last week. Apparently, he's the funniest guy ever!

"You made it, Tris. You beat them, all of 'em!" He says.I laugh.

Then, I see Tobias approaching us. Ugh!! I'm still angry with him for teasing my friends. He has an infuriated look on his face. I realize why. Uriah has his hands on my shoulders. Oh no! He's in trouble!

"Get your hands of her, Uriah." Tobias says.

"Why?" Uriah asks.

"You've no right to lay your filthy hands on her." Tobias replies quietly.

Uriah removes his hands from my shoulders, looking really hurt. And all I am is mad. Fuming mad. First he insults Christina and Will, now he insults Uriah! I've had enough. I've never seen Uriah this hurt before. All because of Tobias.

"Hey Tris, I know that I-" I cut him off.

"Shut up!" I shout at him."Uriah!"

I call out to him. He turns around and looks at me with the saddest eyes ever.I put one of my hands on his cheek and the other around him.

"It's okay. He's too much." I say. Uriah hugs me back.

"I only thought of you as my friend and..." He trails off.

"Shh. You don't have to explain." I say.

"Wait, are you 2 together?" He asks, with a goofy smile forming on his face.

"Now there's my Uriah. And yes we are." I say. He laughs."And I'd really appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone for now."

"Then, Mom's the word." He says. We laugh."You better check on him. He looks as if he's about to cry."

I turn around to see Tobias, looking absolutely torn. I take a deep breath and let it out. I don't wanna be mad at him anymore. I go to him and kiss his cheek.

"Sorry, Tris." He mutters.

"It's okay." I say, though it's not. I put my arms around him. He hugs back. "Now we have to leave here."

"Yeah and I have our bags ready." He says, pointing to a table with two black bags on them. One of them is mine. I take one last look at my friends and go.