Chapter 2

Alex gripped the sheets as he tried to breathe. Just calm down. You can do this. Just breathe.
Alex finally got his breath back after half a minute of desperate trying.
I must ask the doctor what the cancer is. Alex made a mental note as he rolled out of bed.
The house phone then rang. Must be MI6. Alex gingerly picked up the phone and pressed it against his ear. "Hello?"
"Mr Rider, Mr Blunt wants you to come in to talk about the slight problems with your credit card." The receptionist said with a gentle polite voice.
"When?"
"Right now would be nice, Mr Rider."
"Okay. I'll be over there in about half an hour."
"Thank you." She said before the line went dead. I wonder what they want with me now. Do they know about the cancer? What are they gonna do with me? Get rid of me? There's no need for that. I'm gonna be dead in three months, no need for them to get their hands dirty. Alex thought as he head upstairs to get changed and to grab his phone and wallet and house keys.
Alex is now on the way up to Blunt's office. Alex knocked and went in without invitation. "Alex. So nice of you to drop by." Blunt said. Mrs Jones rolled her eyes and saw Alex caught her eye roll, she smiled when she saw amusement twinkle in his eyes before it disappeared after a nod to her, then turning to face Blunt. "How did the mission go?" Alex mentally let out a sigh of relieve when it wasn't about his cancerous state.
"The mission went well, sir." Alex said and handed him a thumb drive which contains a blueprint of the criminal organization's plan for a nuclear weapon. "Good job. Go rest up for now." Alex nodded and left the grey, gloomy office swiftly.
When Alex arrived back at his house, he notice a car parked in front of his house and a man leaning in the car. That man looked extremely bored. He turned around to grab the door handle to leave but he spotted who he was looking for. Alex. Shit. What the hell is he doing here?!
"Alex." The said boy warily walked towards the man. "What are you doing here?"
"Awww. No greetings or anything? Cub?"
"Ben." Alex whispered out, part of him was happy that Ben was here, it meant that he was still alive and well, the part of him wasn't. What if he finds out? Omg. He's a spy he's gonna find out sooner or later. Nah! I'm a better spy I can hide it from him... Did I legit just admit that I'm a spy? God... Cancer fried my brain. I should just admit I'm a goddamn spy. Only three more months... No! I might have a chance at living through chemotherapy!... I am so sure I have split personality now... Alex thought as he invited Ben into his house. "To answer your previous question, I'm here because I'm your guardian now." Alex blinked. What just happened? They were both silent for a whole tense minute. Both just staring at each other, but Ben broke the gaze because he couldn't stand looking into Alex's eyes anymore. They were so cold, so much like a veteran's, so broken... A pair of eyes kids should not have. You never see that look on an adult, well, rarely but still. "So..." Alex said, trailing off to prompt Ben to continue. "So! Now you go pack up and we go to me house!" Ben said cheerfully. Alex obeyed reluctantly, he didn't want to leave the only place that has memories of him and Jack. Don't. It's all for the best. If chemotherapy doesn't work, at least I can still spend the rest of my remaining time doing something right? At least I'll be spending it with someone. That's all I wanted...