Chapter 2 - Cricket, Glances and Autographs

Ayden's POV

Alec saunters into my room, donning a Rajasthan Royals' jersey signed by his all-time favourite Jos Buttler.

While manoeuvring my hair into a bun, I can help but notice how the blue of his eyes are the same shade as the sleeves of his t-shirt. Alexander Chamberlain, at 6'1, is as attractive as they get. With his sun-streaked blond hair and toothy smile, he turned heads wherever he went.

'Ready to leave?' He asks, snapping me back from my thoughts. I nod, grab my handbag and head to the door.

As we wait for the tuk-tuk, I can't stop smiling, 'I am going to meet Devdutt Padikkal!'

'Oh calm down, you might see him play but meeting is a bit of a stretch.'

Our tuk-tuk pulls up as I frown at Alec's pessimistic reply.

Alexander's POV
The moment our tuk-tuk – Aydy tells me that's what these three-wheeled open vehicles are called - pulls out of the parking lot, I can't stop thinking about how all the stereotypes about Indian traffic and driving are entirely true. Panic washes over me, mostly because our driver, Raja, swerves to avoid the rush of traffic.

I look over to Ayden, 'Don't you feel like we might fall out of this vehicle?'

She gives a short but loud laugh, 'Of course not, how would that even happen?' she says, not even sparing me a glance. She's enjoying the wind through her hair and the rapid movement of our scenery as we dodge traffic.

'This reminds me so much of home, you know?' Ayden says, looking at me.

'From my experience, Sri Lanka isn't this loud or busy.'

'No, but the tuk-tuks, the smell of seasoned food and the familiar accents. It's not home but it's close enough and I'll take what I get.'

'Fair enough.' I realise again how difficult it is for students living abroad, constantly missing home and being powerless to do anything about it.

The stadium appears in our view and as we approach it, the crowd of easily a few thousand people waiting to get into the Chinnaswamy comes into the picture as well.

Dev's POV

RCB have won the toss, and unsurprising decided to field first. We've got our work cut out for us, I think as Jos and I make our way to the middle. The atmosphere is always electric at the Chinnaswamy when RCB are out in the middle and today is no different. It is days like this I wish I was still in red and gold, lapping up all the love from the crowd. I shake that thought and take guard at the crease; the corner of my eye catches a wild haired girl motioning animatedly and before I realise, she has my full attention. She was one in a sea of fans donning the RCB jersey and was motioning to a solidary RR fan but what caught my eye was the fact that her jersey did not sport the numbers 17 or 18 but instead 37.

Every so often, I look over to this girl who is enthralled by the game of cricket unravelling in front of her. She jumps excitedly whenever RCB have a breakthrough, which unfortunately for us, has been every couple overs and I watch on as I keep losing partners.

At 50, my celebration is slightly bitter sweet; we are on track to score around 150, which isn't a terrible score on this wicket but will still prove difficult to defend when the dew settles in. I look up and see the same girl quite elated to see me reach my half-century, and subconsciously, a smile grows on my face.

Alexander's POV

Aydy is having the time of her life. RCB keep getting wickets at regular intervals with Dushmantha Chameera and Wanindu Hasaranga being the stars, which obviously only excites her more. They've been excellent on the field and except for Devdutt Padikkal, who is currently on 68, no one has managed to really get going. Mohammed Siraj is back for his third over, and so far, has been incredibly miserly. I hope, by some stroke of luck, the position of this game changes.

I've also noticed that Devdutt Padikkal, who Ayden ironically claims is the love of her life every chance she gets, hasn't taken his eyes off her whenever he isn't involved in the game. I wonder if Aydy has realised, but to be honest, I think she's entirely focused on the cricket unfolding in front of her.

The 19th over did not go RCB's way, with Chameera conceding 22 runs and with 8 off the last over, we get to a total of 170. Devdutt Padikkal, who ended the innings at 93*, is called up for a chat and is of the opinion that 171 will prove to be a tricky target. Ayden slouches in her seat, obviously disappointed by the fact.

'What are your predictions?' Ayden asks me, raising her eyebrows.

'I'm not sure, but I feel inclined to say RR.'

'Well unfortunately, I think you might be right.'

'You say that for every match. I think you just try to reverse jinx yourself or the team.' I say smiling. She just laughs back.

We are both scrolling through Instagram when a security guard brings Ayden a piece of paper. We exchange a glance and she opens up a paper which reads:

Hey, I couldn't take my eyes off you during the game and noticed you've got my signed jersey. I'd love to meet you in person, if you're up for it. If you are, the same security will bring you up the dressing room. If not, this can be an autograph, assuming you'd like one.

See you soon (I hope),

Devdutt Padikkal xx

Accompanying the message was a phone number, scribbled so illegibly we could barely make it out.

Ayden turns to me, blushing heavily, and I already know what she is going to say.

'I told you I was going to meet DDP today.'

'Doesn't this seem slightly suspicious to you?'

'Definitely,' she says it the way DDP does in so many of his interviews, 'that is why you will come with me.'

I glance to her in defeat as the players make their way to the middle and Devdutt Padikkal gives Aydy a cheeky smile.