Chapter 9 - Dazed and Confused

Devdutt's POV

Today was one of the best days I have had in a while, or maybe ever! A century, the most wonderful first date and the widest grin on my face. I settle into bed and pull out my phone, sifting through the DMs I received after the game, a few congratulatory messages, and a whole lot of hate. I've learnt now to take them both with a pinch of salt. I manoeuvre through Instagram and find Ayden's profile, slowly clicking through her stories. Most feature me in some capacity, although I don't find myself generally in frame. All the pictures of her were taken by me, on her phone, and I can't stop staring at these pictures or thinking about how mesmerising she looks. I decide to text her.

I had a great time tonight! Can't wait to find out more about Alex's character growth until we meet again xx

My phone pings as I press send – a message from Prasidh asking about the date. I quickly type back my reply.

I don't think it could have gone any better. She is funny and intelligent and so, so beautiful. I'm not kidding when I say I could not take my eyes off her. And man, she smells so amazing as well. Literally ticks all the boxes.

Prasidh replies with laughing emojis and a simple question, 'Name?'

Ayden Malik, and I don't want to sound creepy, but I think she is the one.

Don't get ahead of yourself!

I let out a loud laugh because against all good judgement, I have gotten ahead of myself and I truly can't wait to see her again.

Too late.

Are you in love?

Nah, definitely not.

Sure?

Yep. But I like her a whole lot.

I notice that it is quite late, and that I have to be up in about 3 hours for practice. I begrudgingly set my alarm and place my phone on the bedside table. Turning off the lights, I make a silent prayer – an opportunity to see Ayden again.

Ayden's POV

I push Alec away and grab my suitcase, not giving him any time to recover. I am furious – it was incredibly selfish of him to kiss me, especially when he knew that I really like Devdutt. I rush down the hallway and almost as if in autopilot, I arrive at the foyer and flash a forced smile at the receptionist.

'Hi, do you have any rooms available tonight?'

'Let me check for you.' She gives me a warm smile, 'Are you looking for a single or a double room?'

'Anything you have on hand.'

'I have a single room on the first floor. The room doesn't have much of a view, if that is okay with you?'

'Of course.' I can't help thinking to myself that I would do anything to get away from Alec at this point. She hands me the keys to the room after taking down my credit card information.

'Thank you.'

I lock the door once I get inside and flop myself onto my bed. The events of the day run through my head, and I feel myself biting down on my lower lip – something I've noticed myself doing when I am nervous, anxious or both. Until about 10 minutes ago, today was amazing, but now I think it's a good competitor for one of the worst days ever. I'm not normally a dramatic person, and I understand that it shouldn't be a big deal because, technically, I am single, but I have no idea what Alec was thinking. It also sucks because I had a crush on this guy for over a year, but he was always taken, so why now?