Friendship

Over the next few months following my visit to the hospital and the Kent house, I developed a friendship with Kayden and had many visits with him in the week following our first time together. School was starting in a matter of days and I was nervous to be entering an entirely new world with high school. I knew that when going to school I might be looked down upon because of my beliefs and because of the way I work but as the days drew on I realized that it should not matter what other people believe or think and that I need to be independent and confident in who I was. With that mindset in place, I was thoroughly prepared for my first day in the new world of high school.

* * * * * * * * * *

Walking down the hallways I had seen so many times before I searched the faces of each student looking for the girl I had met last year in school when picking up my brother. There she was at locker 1435 getting herself sorted out. I walked up behind as quietly as I could.

"Boo," I laughed as Danielle jumped. "Hey, how's the first day of high school going?"

"Good except I'm not sure if I'm going to lose my stomach the first day since apparently, that's what happens here." Dani glared at me but I knew she was just joking.

"Would you like me to walk you to your first class?" I smiled down at her.

"Sure as long as you don't make my stomach drop again." She laughed.

A storm of butterflies hit my stomach. Her laugh was beautiful and everything about her made me smile. I understand that it has only been a few months but over that time I had come to like who she was. We weren't even close friends, we just hung out a lot over the summer. It seemed she didn't have many friends. The reason she likes to have friends isn't for the sake of having them but to have a real relationship with them. I linked arms with Danielle and guided her along the hallways showing her the ways around the school. When we got to the classroom she was searching for I bowed grandly and left to go to my art class.

At lunch, Dani and I sat together with my friends. She was two years younger than us but got along with us just as well. The only person who gave her a hard time was Jessie. She kept looking at Danielle judgingly and made rude comments every so often about whatever she was mentioning. Other than that Riley, Shanon, Nia, Jaxon, Weronika, Rachelle, Harley, Taylor, Quinn, and Tyler all accepted her and liked her company. I found that I was peer tutoring Dani's Phys Ed. class and my heart instantly started beating faster. A few moments later a girl walked into the cafeteria and made a beeline for our group sitting down next to Dani.

"Hey Keesh," Danielle said, leaning her head on the girl's shoulder.

"Hey, baby," Keesha said, putting her arm around me.

Danielle turned and said in no apparent direction," Hey guys I don't know how you guys feel about this, but uhm..."

Keesha smiled," What she is trying to say is that we're dating and that I am her girlfriend." She laughed and booped Danielle's nose.

Danielle laughed and cuddled closer to her beloved. My heart dropped and I tuned out the congratulations and conversation following.

"Of course, we're fine with you being gay, Luv," Shanon said smiling and Riley and Nia nodded. The rest of the group responded with similar statements.

"Hey guys, I think I'm going to go to the washroom for a quick vape and then head to class, talk to you clowns later." I turned to leave the cafeteria but Jessie got up with me and caught up to me as I walked to my locker to grab my vape.

"Soooo Kayden," Jessie said flirtatiously " Do you want to be my partner in the dance coming up."

I put my combination in and opened my locker. " Jess, it's the first day of school, what dance?" I sighed and searched my bag.

"You know, our school does a Halloween dance every year, it's in just over a month." She said leaning against the locker next to mine.

"Two weeks and a month is not 'just over a month'," I said finally finding my vape.

"You're avoiding the question!" Impatiently Jess tapped her foot.

" I swear, Jess, you're going to get me on crack with your comments and questions. No, I will not be your Halloween partner. I have said no to you every single time you ask me any of these questions. Go find some other guy to crush on." I slammed my locker shut and walked quickly to the restroom clenching my fists together until my nails cut into my palm. Why do feelings have to be such a problem? I asked myself and took a deep breath before taking a pull.