Chapter Thirteen: Death Ain't The Only Way To Lose Shawn

His apology washes over me like a cleansing rain. I've been waiting years for him to say that and the second the words left his mouth, there was peace in my heart.

I knew I shouldn't blame him for Cassandra's death, because it wasn't his fault. The only person at fault was the actual murderer- who I put in jail.

Even my my mother, who never acted upset after her death, couldn't of known that he would kill her. But I had a right blame him for leaving me to suffer alone, and he apologized. He called me his baby girl again, words that I've mourned over for so long. Even though I pushed him away and made him look like the father who didn't care and abandoned me, I needed him. And now he's back, with all his strength and everything.

Maybe somebody to lean on was all I needed, I think as I stare into my fathers vibrant blue eyes, matching my own. Maybe that's why I accepted Shawn so easily.

"His name is Carter Cuntingham, younger brother of Benson Cuntingham, the man who murdered Cass with his bare hands- the man I also put in jail," I lecture, ticking off the facts on my fingers, "Carter is out for revenge and he plans on killing me or torturing me, either way he'll do anything to get to me, he has people working for him everywhere. A girl named Osiria Rose, a bodyguard for Shawn Mendes named Connor, and many more spies. Which brings me to another fact, Shawn is in danger. He doesn't know that Connor was the one who dragged me down the musty hallway and tried to kill me. Also, how did I end up here?"

It takes my father a second to process my torn up life before saying, "wow, and a crowd of bystanders who watched it all go down, sent Universal guards to get you. Unfortunately, they didn't catch Connor but they did save you. The bystanders and guards are being called heroes because of it."

I blink, thinking of all those people who went through the trouble of saving me brings a smile to my face. I had honestly thought the majority of this society had crumbled, I didn't think that some people are still good people at heart. It just shows you how sucked in I've become in my mother's world of drama, drugs, and money.

"Now, for Shawn, we'll track him down and make sure he's okay. Is there a way you can contact him?"

Searching my mind, I frown at the thought that I don't actually have know his number, he just put it as a contact in my new phone- which I don't have. I think back to the days of the tour bus, I hadn't spent long with him but I do know that those were the days that I felt the safest, when it was just Shawn and I. Then it comes to me.

"Instagram!" I shout, racing around the room in excitement, "do you have some kind of electronic on you?!"

"Well, I have my phone-"

"Give it to me quickly!" I yell, shoving my hand in my father's face.

He scrambles around, shocked at my outburst but nothing less finds his phone and hands it to me.

I quickly download the app and sign in, going for a private direct message that I had learned to use while Shawn was still teaching me the ropes of Instagram.

'SkyIsFly: Shawn, are you there? It's Skylar, where are you? You're not safe around Connor.'

I send the message with a blurry picture of my pale feet. You can see the tips of my hospital gown, along with my chipped-red-toenail polish that I did weeks ago.

I wait patiently for a reply, tapping my foot with a tense expression. Moments later the phone buzzes to life with a notification.

'ShawnMendes: oh my gosh, Skylar! I'm on my tour bus, where r u?! I thought u were dead! I was so worried, please tell me ur okay, and why is Connor dangerous?!'