Chapter 24

Since Jasmine made a rather long pause, Asher started shifting uncomfortably. He opened his mouth a few times as if he wanted to ask something but closed it again without uttering a word. He was giving her the time and space to express things in her own way, the way she needed it.

"Raven and the others could hear the aliens talking about interplanetary transport being ready. About sending 'the children' through, which sounded strange to them," Jasmine said, clearing her throat, ready for her terrifying storytelling to end. "Other aliens started murmuring as well, talking amongst themselves, although most of what they said Raven couldn't hear clearly."

Asher's eyes lit up in understanding, but Jasmine continued talking, feeling she owed it to Raven to speak her truth and not let her death be in vain. She was determined to use the knowledge Raven had gathered to save lives, even if it was just the lives of the five of them.

"Clever as they were, Raven and the others realized they were about to be sent to an alien planet without a possibility of ever truly escaping. It was a terrifying thought, and they all knew that they needed to do something," Jasmine said, part of the admiration for the bravery they showed seeping through her words. "They looked at each other meaningfully, and that one look was enough. It was clear to them what they had to do."

"They tried to escape?" Asher asked, surprised by the courage it would have taken to attempt something as dangerous as that.

"They didn't feel like they had any other choice. It was better to try escaping while on their home turf because they couldn't predict what the aliens' planet would be like and if they would ever see their own planet, let alone their loved ones. It was worth the risk for them," Jasmine said, sniffing as her nose started running from all the crying she was doing. "They all started running in different directions towards the forest."

"That's clever of them. It would have forced their pursuers to split up, and the aliens would be less likely to catch them all," Asher said, impressed by their cleverness.

However, Jasmine thought their actions weren't as surprising. They grew up in a dangerous world and were taught by their parents, or at least movies and books, what to do to survive in many different types of extreme situations. If something like that had happened when she was young, she wasn't sure she would have known what to do.

"That was their logic as well, and it helped that they had a head start since the aliens were surprised for a few moments before they started chasing after them," Jasmine said, imagining a way to clarify how terrifying it would have been even though she couldn't really imagine how the aliens looked. "Escaping seemed like a losing game, but Raven felt she had to try. At least here they knew what obstacles to expect, how to hide."

"Did any of them manage to escape?" Asher asked with a tone that Jasmine couldn't interpret.

It sounded determined, but determined to do what? What was going on through his head was quite a mystery to her. She was annoyed that her own mind was so easy to read.

"Raven didn't know, or at least not until the last entry in her diary," Jasmine said, caressing the diary as if it was a living and breathing being who had gone through so much. "However, Raven herself did manage to escape them. As far as I can tell, she tricked them and was able to lose them in the forest."

"Then what happened to her?" Asher asked in confusion because the girl looked like she had been through quite a lot.

"While she was running away, they did manage to hurt her," Jasmine said, sadness taking over her features. "That caused her to fall down a low cliff adding to her injuries. And even though Raven kept going even after that, she knew she didn't have much time left as she bled quite a lot. She was keeping herself alive by the sheer power of her will. She wanted someone to find her diary and get the information to help them survive."

"It sounds like she was a very kind girl," Asher said, gently squeezing Jasmine's hand, which was as cold as ice. "She accomplished what she set out to do, and nothing could stop her. Still, she must have appreciated that she didn't have to face death alone, that you were there for her."

Jasmine raised her eyes to look at Asher's face, to judge if he was being honest or not. The compassion and warmth she found in his eyes broke her. It was impossible to keep herself composed anymore, so Jasmine did what she had never done before. She hugged Asher, an almost stranger, sobbing loudly.

Asher was confused by the suddenness of her actions but even more so at a loss about what to do. Jasmine didn't seem like a typical person who responded well to physical contact, but that was all he had to offer. Thus, he hugged her back gently, rubbing soothing circles on her back.

"Shh, it's okay," Asher mumbled comfortingly. "You were there when she needed you the most."

Jasmine didn't say anything. She simply held onto him tightly, finding the much-needed comfort in the warmth of his embrace. She couldn't remember the last time she felt so good, so safe. Hugging wasn't something her family usually did. Even when they did do it, on a rare occasion, it was more of a social convention than an actual comforting hug.

"Daddy, is Jasmine, okay?" Arman asked, suddenly materializing next to them.

"She is fine. She is just a bit sad," Asher explained in a way that he thought Arman could understand.

"Oh, does she miss her mommy? Is she also in heaven like our mommy?" Arman asked innocently.

"She doesn't know, and she worries about her," Asher said, not feeling like his words were lies.

It was clear that Jasmine felt everything more than anyone else. The reason for her breakdown wasn't just witnessing the death of an innocent girl. Everything that had happened combined, including not knowing what happened to her family and friends, was the cause of it. She was scared, hurt, and sad. It was best for her to let it all out.

"I think she needs a group hug," Ariyana said, putting down the food and wrapping her tiny hands around Jasmine.

Arman hugged his father and Jasmine, and even Isaac joined in, although he was unfamiliar with heartwarming situations. It was a comfort for him to finally drop his act and feel warmth in an increasingly colder world.

"Thank you, guys," Jasmine said a while later as her tears finally ran out. "It seems like I really needed that."

She broke away from the hug smiling gently at the kids and not daring to look at Asher. After all, showing vulnerability in front of the children was one thing, but doing so in front of a guy who seemed so strong and reliable was embarrassing. Especially since he seemed to always have everything in control, and that was something Jasmine never had. Control.

"You're welcome," the children answered in unison, their singsong tone making her smile even brighter.

"Why don't we get something to eat now?" Asher said, realizing that Jasmine might need some relaxing time to recover from all the emotions that had erupted from her in such a short time. "What have you prepared for us?"

"Sandwich a la Ariyana!" Ariyana exclaimed proudly. "Jasmine, it will be the best sandwich you ever had!"

"Well, if that's the case," Jasmine said, smiling at the hyperactive girl. "I have to try it."

Ariyana gave her the biggest and the most beautiful looking one, and Jasmine bit into it with gusto.

"Mhm, this is delicious," Jasmine praised. "I didn't know that you were a little chef. It's much better than any sandwich I ever had."

Ariyana smiled proudly and even blushed a little at the praise, which Jasmine thought was the cutest thing ever. It also made her realize that no matter how many bad things happened, there were always good things to appreciate, and she was determined to do so. To start focusing on the good instead of dwelling on the bad.

Looking for the heat to melt away the ice.