Chapter 60

On their walk to the bunker, Jasmine kept expecting something horrible to happen. She kept waiting for the other shoe to drop because many apocalyptic scenarios were running through her head, all equally scary to her frightened mind.

The aliens could find them and whisk them away again. Some unfriendly human faction could get to them. Melissa, Plague, and Jeremiah could turn on them and sell them to the aliens or the humans. There were so many ways things could go wrong, and Jasmine was so busy thinking about them that she didn't consider all the ways things could go right.

"Are you okay?" Isaac asked her from time to time, clearly worried.

"I'm fine," she always responded.

After all, what was she supposed to say? That she was a terrified mess. She was the adult she needed to always be there for the children. Wasn't that her job? She couldn't afford to be weak.

Still, Jasmine couldn't stop being suspicious of the three additions to their group even though they followed one of the strangers to his secret bunker.

Jasmine realized that she didn't trust anyone besides Asher and the children, and she couldn't decide if that was the smartest thing or the dumbest thing ever, but it was the truth.

"You all, welcome to my bunker!" Jeremiah suddenly exclaimed while they stood in the middle of the forest, seeing nothing but nature all around them.

"Grandpa, have you gone senile or something?" Plague exclaimed frustratedly. "There is nothing here!"

"You watch your tongue, boy," Jeremiah said sternly. "If your mother were here, she would've washed your mouth with soap."

"But she isn't, is she?" Plague countered vehemently.

"You ain't got to worry, my boy. I'll do that in her place," Jeremiah said, giving Plague a death stare, which managed to shut him up for the moment.

"I guess your bunker entrance is hidden because what's the point of a secret bunker if anyone can find it," Asher said thoughtfully, as he held tightly to his daughter, who had gotten tired along the way and fallen asleep in his arms.

"Ain't you a clever one," Jeremiah told Asher proudly as if he was responsible for the said cleverness. "That ivy over there is a camouflage. Now, if my idjut of a grandson would help me get it out of the way, we'll go in sooner as you folks look mighty tired."

Plague glared daggers at his grandfather, but he still followed the man's lead as they poked through the ivy and found a secret door to which the ivy seemed to be melded, so it moved with the door instead of sliding away and revealing their hiding place.

Jasmine, with her one hand in Arman's little hand and with the other in Isaac's firm grasp, watched with wonder and trepidation as an entrance to the bunker was fully revealed. She was still on high alert, but nothing screamed danger. The place was clearly empty for quite a long time and creepy as they had to basically go underground, but she trusted her instincts which told her they might as well go in and rest. Even if something dangerous was to happen, at least they would be well-rested to face it.

The bunker looked much better than expected. While Jasmine expected old furniture and a rusty interior with only enough things to survive, this bunker turned out to be much more. It was more like a proper house than anything else. It was even decorated as one, which was surprising. Why would someone even decorate an emergency bunker?

"Many people who build bunkers try to make them look as much like a home as they can because they don't know how long they would have to stay underground if something happens," Asher answered her silent questions, suddenly appearing behind her, his breath so close to her ear that she shivered unconsciously.