Chapter 2

It was in Jasmine's nature to romanticize things, to see interesting ideas and shapes where others saw none. Thus, the idea of a small group of bald men strolling next to their building, the furthest one on the periphery, didn't seem so odd. After all, it could have just been a figment of her imagination.

So, she just noted the strangeness of it all and moved on. After all, she had far more important things to worry about, such as how to get her life back. How to take control of it instead of everyone else deciding who she should or shouldn't be. However, later on, she wished she had paid better attention to that small, seemingly insignificant detail.

As it was, she decided to stroll through the nature that sprawled behind their building, knowing full well that it wouldn't be there for long. The developers had bought the land, so it was only a matter of time before they started cutting down trees and destroying nature to build those ugly cages called buildings.

As she walked along the narrow path, Jasmine stared at every flower, appreciating every tiny leaf. She wanted to remember it as it was in that one perfect moment, untouched and beautiful. The gentle dew drops clung to the grass, glistening in the sun. They made Jasmine think about how small and insignificant her problems were when the bigger picture was considered.

It didn't matter if she got married or not; if she was normal or not. All that mattered was to become one with the bright sun gently caressing her skin, with the grass tickling her feet.

That was one of the reasons she preferred to spend so much time in nature. It gave her the peace and quiet that nothing else could. Still, one part of her mind couldn't stop itself from splitting away like a small independent country inside a bigger one and thinking about the steps to take.

The only solution that came to her that would solve all her problems, which would be utterly selfish, was to leave, to go somewhere where no one knows her, and start over. However, that would mean leaving the only home she ever knew. The only place where she had at least some semblance of freedom when compared to her family home, where her parents controlled every little thing that she did.

Her mind was an incredible buzz of activity as always, going from one topic to another, most of them completely unrelated.

"If a zombie apocalypse were to happen, these trees would serve well for a temporary rest. I could climb them easily as they have a lot of furrows and grooves," she thought, looking at the strong trees to her right. "But those, they would be horrible to climb. All I can do is hope that I would never have to attempt to climb them."

That comment was meant for the copse of trees to her left as they were very smooth and weak looking. Not only would they be hard to climb, but it was also debatable whether they were strong enough to support her weight.

With those thoughts and even stranger ones, Jasmine kept walking, finding it odd how she hadn't seen any animals or insects that she usually caught glimpses of. It was as if her little paradise was too quiet, or maybe her thoughts were too dark and projected themselves onto her environment.

"I better head home," she thought when she started feeling like the place wasn't offering her the usual peace.

She missed colorful butterflies fluttering around her as she followed them with her gaze, fascinated. Furthermore, she found it strange without the buzzing of little bees as they explored the delicious nectar the surrounding flowers had to offer. What she didn't understand at the time, was that she missed the usual bustle of life that always filled the area. It was as if nature itself was holding its breath, fearing the future.

"Where have you been? Do I have to do everything around here?" Theodora criticized her the moment she entered the apartment, although Jasmine always did her part of the chores and more. "By the way, your parents called. I told them you were in one of your moods, and they insisted you call them as soon as you return."

Jasmine sighed deeply, as she wasn't ready in the least for another bout of criticism that she was certain to be showered with. It was more than enough that she had to deal with her cousin, but her parents were a whole different matter. They were on the next level when at finding flaws in everyone, especially their daughter.

"Hello, mother. Theodora said you wished to speak with me," Jasmine said as she sat down, getting ready for another long and unnecessary lecture.

Every time Jasmine talked with her mother, she felt like she didn't know anything, like she was a small child who always did everything wrong.

It was an exhausting feeling.

The biggest problem with that was that her mother thought she was helping her, that she was giving her a gentle push to be better, when all Jasmine truly needed was to hear that her mother was proud of her. To at least hear a compliment from time to time.

"Oh, Jasmine. I hear that you are giving grief to your cousin. Again," Zelda said, without giving Jasmine time to even think about a response, let alone voice it. "When are you going to find a real job and stop being such a burden to poor Theodora, who has always supported you like a sister?"

"Mother, I do have a job," Jasmine said tiredly, as she always had to remind her mother of the fact. "I work at the local library and I read for the children part-time."

"That's not a real job. No part-time job will get you far in life or find you a good husband," her mother went on, undeterred as if her daughter hadn't even spoken.

"I don't expect my job to provide me with a good husband. I just want to be able to do what I love, and that's always been about books," Jasmine said with more passion than she ever showed in front of her mother.

It was as if the mere mention of books gave her more energy to deal with the world around her that sometimes felt like a vampire sucking her blood until there was nothing left. Besides, she loved reading books to the children, making voices, and reenacting the scenes from books. Jasmine saw, from their laughter and glowing eyes, that they loved those precious portals into new adventures as much as she did. That mattered more than any 'real' job ever could.

"Then how do you expect to find a husband? To have children?" Zelda said cuttingly. "You aren't getting any younger, and you are clearly incapable of finding a husband through the usual means."

Zelda's words cut deep into Jasmine's very soul because part of her believed them, part of her was trained to believe that her mother always knew best. Perhaps if she saw no redeeming qualities in her, there were none. But another part, a more powerful one, rebelled against that notion. It was the fire of her soul that refused to be extinguished, that refused to be tamed.

"I don't want a husband or children! I am perfectly content the way I am! Goodbye, mother!" Jasmine said, cutting the call short while raising her voice at her mother for the first time in her life.

Later she would wish that she hadn't done that, that their last call wasn't such a bad one, that her words weren't so harsh. However, there was a limit to what a person could stand even from one's own parents, and Jasmine's limit was reached some time ago.

What she regretted the most about that phone call was that she lied. Her parents never got the chance to learn that she did want all that, a husband, children, a family. She just wanted it all to come naturally instead of her forcing it.

Either way, soon, none of those issues or arguments mattered, as far worse things were brewing without any of them knowing it. At least not on the conscious level.

Later Jasmine would remember that she did feel on edge that day, that there were so many details that spoke of the danger they were in, but she never saw them for what they were.

Warnings.