(2) chapter ii. hotelier

"How did you know I like this new brand? I haven't told you about it." Bernie said, barging in his room.

Ray sat on his bed. "How could I not? I've been living with you for a while. But you woke up a little later than usual, has it gone cold?" he asked.

"Oh, I don't mind. Aren't you late? It's past twelve, why are you still here?"

"There is not much to do in the office. I want to rest. It's not too easy working for Vogue, I've been telling you that."

"And yet you keep telling me to work for you guys. Now I have more reasons to reject you, don't I?" mocked Dan.

"You're putting all of your talent to waste, bro. Don't you think so?"

"All of my talent? What am I wasting? I've been selling art online for a long, long time. How is it gone to waste? At least I own my time. What is there to complain about?"

Bernie walked out of Ray's room, and when he came back, he's holding two thick portfolios of his artworks. "These are years of hard work, and none of them are wasted. I had fun making them, and other people appreciated them too. If that's what wasting means for you, then I'll gladly waste my entire life, and I don't care what you're going to say about it."

"I'm not trying to start anything, Bern. If you don't want it, then it's your life to live... I just think that you can do so much better than what you're doing right now."

Bernie isn't quite pleased with Ray's words. "Now it's your superiority complex talking. You think you're better me, don't you? You think you're this, almighty boss, that the whole world looks up to?"

Ray is quick to defend himself. "I never said that. I've never been boastful of what I have, and you know that. This is about you, and not about me. I'm not trying to make you mad. I'm always as honest as possible, and I guess you just don't like that. I didn't mean to offend you. I just often think of the w-" Ray paused, conflicted whether he's going to continue what he's about to say. He figured it's going to offend Bernie even more, and he's tired.

"Okay, Bernie. I'm sorry. Alright? I'm done. We should stop talking. I'm the one at fault, I started this, I offended you, and it's done. I'm sorry. Maybe now's not the time to be around each other. I guess you'd be fine with that." Ray said, apologetic.

Bernie seemed to cool down a bit and chose not to talk. He closed the door quietly, and Ray is alone again. Ray didn't purposely offend him, and what he wanted for Bernie is to share the same kind of success Ray's been enjoying for a long time. He thought that he wanted what's best for his best friend, and that is to reach his full potential. If he were a fake friend, he thought to himself, he would never have offered Bernie what he's been offering to him for a while now.

After a few hours of laying in his bed, Ray remembered his supposed agenda for today. On his calendar, today's date is marked with black ink, with the word "therapy, day 65" written on it. He's been going for the past two years, and sometimes it's every week, but often times, it's every other. His therapist is a woman in her 40's, and she's a successful psychotherapist. The office they're using is colored dull, but according to her, it's effective in making her patients feel comfortable in her presence, instead of them seeing bright and full colors in their sessions. It can be distracting, she said, and she doesn't like distractions.

Rina has always preferred for her patients to call her by her first name because to her, it proves that they're not just her patients and that she genuinely wants to help them and create true emotional connections, outside of the professional setting they're in. Ray has also started considering Rina as one of his friends, and she's very pleased to hear that. Sometimes, they go out for a drink, but every after session, Rina makes sure that Ray is able to get home safely. She drives for him, and he's happy that she's truly caring.

It was Bernie who introduced Ray to Rina. Bernie experiences mental health issues himself, but he has stopped going to her after they've seen significant improvement. This influenced Ray to go to her and see how good she is himself.

The doctor is a bit late today and Ray is seated in front of the clinic, beside other patients who are also waiting for their therapists. A few minutes later, Rina has come, and they start their session.

Ray noticed a new picture on her table, and he mentions it. "Where was this?" he asked.

Rina took the picture frame from him and smiled. "Ah. Florence. Italy. My husband and I took a vacation for two weeks. The Italians were so friendly, one of them even mistook me for a local. But I couldn't speak Italian, so she translated what she said. Turns out she's a fluent English speaker! We became friends, and she took me to the best art galleries in town. Even Peter liked her. Ah, enough of me. How have you been lately, Ray? You didn't attend our session last week. I waited for you." she said.

"I told Jasmin I wouldn't come. Why didn't she tell you? I wouldn't have made you wait for me if I wouldn't be able to attend." said Ray.

"Ah, Jasmine. You know how she can be forgetful sometimes. The woman is 60! Maybe I should get a new assistant soon." said Rina.

"Poor Jasmin. Maybe she's just kind of overworked?"

Rina dismissed what he said jokingly. The two talk for fifteen more minutes until Rina figured that it's enough. On the way home from the clinic, Ray saw Bernie walking downtown, while wearing a headphone. He figured that perhaps he's still mad at him and decided to change route. The walk was tiring, but in front of him stood a building as tall as a skyscraper, and he's going to sleep in a hotel for the time being to unwind.

His room is huge, and the bed is warm. He's comfortably lying on white linen sheets but voices booming from floors beneath him interrupt his rest. He peeked his head out of the door, and a bellboy is about to enter the room next to him.

"Sir," Ray called to him. "Why are people clamoring? There is probably someone famous downstairs." he said.

"Oh, that. The owner of the hotel is downstairs, and he's with his wife. They're known people, but I'm not interested. Do you know him? Do you want to see him?"

"Maybe later. What does he look like?" asked Ray.

"Oh, him. He is a middle-aged man with black hair. The man is good-looking. I was told he had a lot of women swooning over him when he was young, and they're still going! He wears glasses, and loves wearing suits. He's quite tall as well, but not that much. Maybe 5'9, or a bit taller. You'll know when you see him. That man has charisma. The wife is lucky woman!" he said, and finally entered the next room to Ray.

Ray couldn't contain his curiosity any longer, and so he decided to head downstairs. Lots of people are in different crowds, and their focus is centered on two people. So that's them, he thought. Much like what the bellhop said, the man is not young, but not too old. Kind of tall, but not too much. He's handsome and he looks good beside his wife who is beautiful as well. She looks elegant and sophisticated, the perfect match for a wealthy hotelier. Her dress is black and classy, and on her neck is a pearl necklace, which is obviously expensive. Her black heels match the mood of her outfit. They make a good couple, Ray thought. Beside him, he noticed a fancy restaurant. It's late in the evening and he hasn't eaten.

A few tables away, he noticed a man reading a book. Ray immediately recognized him, and as much as he wants to walk out of the place right then and there, he cannot, as he had already ordered his food and it's expensive. The man is on his own, and when he put the book back in his bag, Ray noticed that it's To Kill a Mockingbird. The man continued eating. It's steak, similar to what Ray ordered. How is he never tired of eating the same thing over and over again? Ray thought.

Ray's steak has finally arrived, and as much as he wants to enjoy it, he cannot. Eating his steak took him several minutes, and after he's done, he immediately stood up and went for the door. At the doorway, he was abruptly interrupted by a voice which seems to be only inches away.

"Ray." it called.