(20) chapter xx. soak

It is a busy day at the station the next morning after Therese's birthday party. Emily is not there to tell Ray what the commotion is all about but Jason explained it himself. Lately, their team had found a way to destress themselves by eating together. They did not recognize the person at first, but soon realize it was the chef that frequently talked to them. The chef talked to Jason the most. The rest of the team remembers him, although some of them have not talked to him. He had a bubbly personality. Although he was the head chef, he had a smooth relationship with the rest of the other cooks.

They had talked to his colleagues and none of them could give a decent explanation about what happened. All they shared were theories. He had the symbols and they were carved on his skin. When he was seen, his wound was fresh. The killer had a different way this time; he burned his skin. They were debating whether to tell his colleagues. His untimely death is enough to shock all of them. They chose to tell the restaurant's owner instead, who promised that it will be kept a secret.

Every single time they had seen the symbols, the shapes were done perfectly. They are unsure whether the killer were drawing them using a shape tracer, or he had exquisite drawing skills. They have contacted expert investigators to study his carvings, and they are unsure, too. Jevan's death had not reached national news, and they doubt it will. As much as they want to give more exposure to the killer to help the citizens protect themselves, they know that added publicity will only cause unnecessary public clamor.

They know the effects of the publicization of the killer's unknown identity. There were less people roaming at night, and when there we any, majority are men. They have posted flyers all over the town detailing the crimes of the man, and a reward will be given to anyone who will give substantial and verifiable about the man.

Even though Jevan lived on his own, many people attended his wake. The rest of the team who are apart of the investigation were there. He was survived by his young child. They've talked to his kid's mother. Even though they have not been talking much, Jevan remained being a present father. They saw the child walking to the coffin. He is at most three years old, and he had his father's eyes. His long, luscious black hair also reminds them of Jevan's.

Days have passed since the discovery of his body. There are no updates to his case, as well as the teenage mother's, and the teacher's. This time, autopsy results took a bit longer than usual. When the results finally came, they were shocked to see the Jevan's unusual death. His mouth was foaming when he was found lying on the kitchen floor. His co-chefs immediately checked pulse and they did not find any. It turns out that he was poisoned, although they could not figure out what exact food poisoned him. There was no forced entry, too, and this way, the team had deduced one thing: whoever planned his death must be someone he knew.

This puzzled Ray and the rest of the group. Whoever has been doing this is just around the town, although it is unknown whether this person knows them, individually. Clearly, the person has heard about them as the professionals working on his cases. The autopsy results did not find evidence that Jevan fought back, and they were certain that the perpetrator was not around when Jevan started dying.

Ray looked at the food he is eating, and the rest noticed it. They laughed. If there were people in the town who might be the perpetrator's victims next, they know that it might be them. Ray tried to be more attentive about how he feels as of the moment. Although he feels light-headed, he feels fine.

Minutes after, one of their colleagues started feeling nauseous. It must be only a coincidence, Ray thought. They observed themselves for a few more hours before saying goodbye to one another. Exactly when he was about to enter in the headquarters of Vogue, he received a text from Laura. It reads: Ray, Olga needs to talk to you. Right now. He increased his pace until he finally heard Laura's voice.