~Chapter Twenty-One~

Rapunzel paced outside the little farmhouse, fidgeting nervously with her hair. Eugene and Lance sat on top of a nearby fence, staring at the ground in front of them in silence. It had been over an hour since Hector and King Edmund went inside the farmhouse to break the news to Quirin that his son had been taken prisoner by Cassandra. They had heard shouting and the sound of things breaking about ten minutes into the horrible conversation, but since then it had been relatively quiet. Rapunzel had become worried half an hour ago, but now, she was completely panicked. All she could think about was Quirin's fear and grief for what had happened to his son, not to mention poor Varian himself. Rapunzel tried her best to convince herself that Cassandra would never hurt Varian, but the dreadful, violent thoughts made their way to the front of her mind nonetheless.

Finally, the queen heard the front door of the farmhouse open with a slow creaking sound. Edmund stood in the doorway, looking very tired and sad. He beckoned Rapunzel and her friends inside. Rapunzel nodded in response and took her boyfriend's hand before approaching the farmhouse.

The three climbed through the front door and into the dining room where Hector was waiting with Quirin. Hector had his arm draped around his brother's shoulders in comfort, but the other man didn't even seem to notice. He kept his fearful eyes on the table in front of him. He looked like he had been crying.

The six of them all stood and sat around the table, all refusing to look at each other. No one wanted to start the conversation or even suggest that they do. But they all knew the conversation needed to be had. A plan to rescue the teenage alchemist had to be made.

"Eugene."

Everyone jumped slightly at the sudden sound of Hector's voice. They all looked at him and waited for him to continue speaking, Eugene most intently of them all. Hector took his time to continue but he eventually did in a slow, horribly serious, and menacing tone.

"Eugene, how prepared are your soldiers to fight against magic?"

"NO!" Rapunzel shouted a lot louder than she intended to. "We're not sending an army on Cassandra!"

"She's kidnapped a friend of the royal family who just so happens to be a child!" Hector snarled, standing up and advancing on Rapunzel. "In my kingdom, this would be an act of war!"

"Well, we're not in your kingdom!" Rapunzel retorted.

"He's my nephew! I have a right to protect and save him if need be!"

"I understand that, but what you do not have is a right to command my kingdom's military!"

"Varian is born of Dark Kingdom blood! If you do not provide us with an army to rescue him, then we, his people, will!"

"Varian may be born of Dark Kingdom blood, but he was raised as a citizen of Corona! I, as the queen, decide how to care for my people!"

"Then we will stage our own attack as a stand against Cassandra and her thievery of the Moonstone, rescuing Varian on moral grounds!"

"And where will you find this army?!"

"If King Edmund kept an eye on me throughout my exile, I guarantee he has watched others from our kingdom and knows of their whereabouts! He could contact them and have them collect any of our people that they know of, therefore forming an army!"

"Then we will declare war on you ourselves!"

"On what grounds?! Daring to do what's right?!"

"YOU ARE IN MY KINGDOM! I AM THE QUEEN! YOU WILL DO AS YOU ARE TOLD!"

Rapunzel stood nose to nose with Hector, completely unafraid. Her seventy feet of golden hair was out of its braid and clutched in her hands, ready to be used as a weapon if the need arose. She glared him down with more authority than anyone in the room had ever seen her use, daring him to retort and see what would happen. The room was silent as everyone watched. Quirin had finally looked up from the table. No one even breathed. Finally, someone spoke.