Chapter Eight

Addie's POV:

Sitting in the back deck sipping a steaming cup of coffee and I watched Jeb playing with Brownie, his chocolate Chesapeake Bay Retriever, I thought about how my life has changed. After only two weeks of hiding away at his place, I felt mentally stronger than I had in a long time. I felt relaxed. I felt decompressed. I felt like a different person in general; but all of that could have simply been because the man I'd been hidden away with had seemingly made it his mission to fuck me into a state of mellowness that could only be reached by experiencing multiple orgasms throughout the day. Not that I was complaining in the least because lets face it... there are a lot more ways for people to reach that relaxed state that are far worse for your health than someone making you scream their name as they fucked you every chance they got. But if he and I were going to continue this little hide-away thing and continue to screw each other senseless, I was going to need to a new prescription on my birth control pill. Or else, I was going to end up pregnant. And that would just add one more thing to the long list of things that I didn't need in my life right now.

Not that I didn't want kids because I did. But Jeb and I- well we haven't exactly put a label on what we are. We shared a bed together ever night. We danced in the kitchen as I cooked dinner. We watched movies, tangled in each other's arms. We'd even had dinner a couple of nights with is family. We literally did everything that a couple would do, only without the label of actually being one. Part of me wanted him to be the one to say that he wanted labels on this but part of me didn't. Given my past -and my family name- people had used me to get what they wanted starting all the way back in middle school when my crush had flirted with me just so that I would get him and his family tickets to a race. And then there was my ex, Christopher Bell. I'll be the first to admit that he is a talented driver and one to watch in the years to come, but even he had had his own motives when it came to dating me. I'd been to blind to see it at the time but looking back now, I should have known that he was just one more man that was using me for his own personal gain. He'd used me until he had gotten his footing with the team and in the cup series, making me believe that we were going to be together forever, until someone more slutty, with a bigger chest size and looser moral values had come along.

So yeah, because I'd been used in the past, I had this nagging voice in the back of my mind telling me that while I wanted to believe that Jeb was different, it was possible for him to only be doing the same as everyone else had in my life. But even if I had that voice telling me that Jeb's intentions weren't true, that he isn't a genuinely good guy, there was something about the way that he looked at me, the way that he held me, the way that he whispered my name that told me that this was something different. And honestly, that scared me since he was going though a divorce and I was basically his rebound. Not that he ever made me feel like that's what I was -quite the opposite actually- but that didn't mean there wasn't that little seed of doubt, something that hated because I was finding it harder and harder to not believe that was anything but genuine.

The buzzing of my phone on the table beside me pulled me from my thoughts. As soon as I saw the name on the readout, I wished that I had just kept the damn thing turned off like it had been sense I left JGR two weeks ago. But the worry for my family, for my sisters, my brothers, and everyone else in my family had forced me to break the radio silence, to reach out to them to let them know that I was okay. Seeing Boris' name on the readout meant there was a problem at JGR, a problem that was going to worry me until I got it sorted out; even if I was under strict orders from Pappy Joe to ignore all things JGR.

"Good morning, Boris." I said, unable to keep the irritation out of my voice.

"Thank god you answered. The press is having a field day, wanting photos of the new driver that's been signed to JGR. Only problem is, everyone here is tightlipped and wont say a world about who it is. Rumors are flying, saying that its anyone from Kurt Busch to someone from the truck series. I'm drowning here Adds. I need you to come in and sort this out." Said Boris in a rush.