VII: Haley, Aaron and Jack

Chapter Seven      /      Haley, Aaron and Jack

Season One      /      Episode Seven Pt 1

     Monica found that whenever she had time during her break, she would always be calling or texting that same someone and today was no different. Felix Barlowe was on the other end of the phone, updating her about how Palm Beach was surviving after their case a couple months ago. They often did this once a week on a Sunday so that they would have something to talk about, but Barlowe had text last night stating he was going to be preoccupied on Sunday because he was going home to Mexico City to visit family. Monica was perfectly fine with doing an earlier call, even if it meant less time to talk – losing Sundays, her one day off, was sometimes exhausting when she returned to work the next day. The only supportive part was that the two were in the same time zone, it meant one didn't have to stay up later for the other.

     "So, Worthy has returned to work now?" She quizzed as she poured hot water into her mug, drowning the teabag and dissolving the sugar. Her hip rested on the kitchen's bench, keeping her up as Monica waited for her tea to brew. Usually, Monica would drink coffee but in recent times it had begun giving her a headache which affected her work ethic, and she would rather not get a reputation this early into her new unit.

     Barlowe hummed, "Yeah, couple days a week to start off. I think he still fears going into the station sometimes. He has that look in his eyes, you know that look Monica?"

     "Of course," Monica murmured, eyebrows furrowing together as she hooked two fingers into the handle of the drawer and opened it. Her fingers brushed over the little spoons until she chose one as she continued, "You see that look in the hospital a lot. Patients and next-of-kin alike."