Part 9

Embers POV

"When I was being taken to dig my grave, Rain. My god. And Shad, my devil. They sent out a SOS. As I was digging, a Ice Dragon came and crushed the man guarding me. Rain and Shad took over. Together the three of them killed everyone there. Nasemi, the Ice Dragon. She took me away. She sent me off to find out how to do ice magic on my own. After I figured it out. Shad had to complete the process. So I had to fight him. I won." I say. "When I woke up my temporary home caught fire and burned down around me." I tell her.

"Nasemi found me and took me back to her cave. I was in a small coma. But when I woke. She had to leave. I may never see her again. But she made me an Ice Dragon Slayer. She scented me. Then brought me here. So yeah. That's what happened to me." I tell Kit. We sit in silence for a few minutes before Tapio breaks it. "Why didn't they go save you?" He asks. I look at him. "Huh?" I ask. "Why didn't Ritchie and Brandon go save you?" Tapio asks. "I told them not to." I tell him. "How old were you?" Tapio asks. "I was 16." I tell him.

"They had a 16 year old go on a suicide mission." Tapio says. "Well, truth be told. Brandon didn't really want me to go. But Ritchie did." I tell him. "Still, you were 16 years old. A child. They had you go try to save a guild member. They then didn't go save you themselves nor did they send anyone to save you." Tapio says. "Well, before i left I told them if I was to get taken to not risk anyone else's lives to get me." I tell him with a shrug. "And now, you should be 17. But you are 19 because of time magic. And Ricthie made you SS rank. Hurts you. And you do your absolute best to keep everyone else here safe." Tapio says.

"When do you get a break? When do you get to do something for yourself?" Tapio asks me. I pause and look down at my hands. "Keeping you all safe is what I do for myself. I couldn't protect Lani. So I will do my best to protect you all." I tell him. Kit looks at me with worry. "And what if that kills you?" Tapio asks me. I look him in his eyes then I look Kit in her eyes. "If I die protecting people I care about. I will call it a life well lived. And I will die happy that I was able to protect you all." I tell him.

"What would Lucas say when he comes back?" Kit asks me. "....I don't know. But if it was my life or anyone else's in this guild lives. Including Ritchie's life. I wouldn't even have to think about it. I would put all of your lives above my own. Any time. Any day." I take a deep breath and shake my head. "Now, I have to go on a mission. You two stay away from Ritchie. And just stay safe. Once I get back I'll help you with the paperwork. Eat anything you want from here. Have a good day you two." I tell them as I grab my bag and leave the house.