𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓

Beast from water

Everyone went down to beach and sat down

Y/n wondered what the meeting will be about. I mean he was angry that Jack didn't keep an eye on the fire as he was supposed to. Everyone came, though the assembly has never been late before. Maurice and most of the hunters were on Ralph's, right and the rest on his left side. Piggy stood outside the triangle, but he did wanted to listen.
"The thing is: we needed an assembly". Ralph Sp-
oke. No one said anything just looked at Ralph.
"Things are beginning to break up. I don't know why, it all began well. then people started forgetting what really matters. The most important thing for all of us is getting rescued". He went on to tell about his complaints.
"We have lots of assemblies. Everybody enjoys speaking and being together. We decide things. But they don't get done. We were going to have water brought from the stream and left in those coconut shells under fresh leaves. So it was, for a few days.
Now there's no water. The shells are dry. People drink from the river". Y/n bit her bottom lip.
"Not that there's anything wrong with drinking from the river. I mean I'd sooner have water from that place--you know, the pool where the waterfall is then out of an old coconut shell. Only we said we'd have the water brought. And now not. There were only two full shells there this afternoon."
He licked his lips. "Then there's huts. Shelters."
The murmur swelled again and died away.
"You mostly sleep in shelters. Tonight, except for Samneric up by the fire, you'll all sleep there.
Who built the shelters?"
Clamor rose at once. Everyone built shelters.
"Wait a minute! I mean, who built all three? We all built the first one, four of us the second one, and me'n, Y/n, Simon built the last one over there. That's why it's so tottery". laughter aro-used. "No. Don't laugh. That shelter might fall down if the rain comes back. We'll need those shelters then."
He cleared his throat.
"There's another thing. We chose those rocks right along beyond the bathing pool as a lavatory.
That was sensible too. The tide cleans the place up.
You littluns know about that."
There were sniggers here and there and swift glances. Y/n grimaced.
The assembly roared.
"I said if you're taken short you keep away from
the fruit. That's dirty!"
Laughter came back.
"I said that's dirty!"
He plucked at his stiff, grey shirt.
"That's really dirty. If you're taken short you go right along the beach to the rocks. See?"
Piggy held out his hands for the conch but Ralph shook his head.
"We've all got to use the rocks again. This place is getting dirty." He paused.
"And then: about the fire."Jack chipped, a piece of wood from the stick with his knife.
"Look at us! How many are we? And yet we can't keep a fire going to make smoke. Don't you under-stand? Can't you see we ought to- ought to die before we let the fire out?". A giggle was heard. Ralph turned onto them.
"You hunters! You can laugh! But I tell you the smoke is more important than the pig, however often you kill one. Do all of you see?" He spread his arms wide and turned to the whole triangle.
"We've got to make smoke up there or die."
He paused, feeling for his next point.
"And another thing."
Someone called out.
"Too many things." There was an agreement.
Y/n didn't know who said it but glared at someone.
"And another thing. We nearly set the whole island on fire. And we waste time, rolling rocks, and making little cooking fires. Now I say this and make it a rule, because I'm chief. We won't have a fire anywhere but on the mountain. Ever."
Y/n looked back a Ralph.
Because if you want a fire to cook fish or crab, you can jolly well go up the mountain. That way we'll be certain."